1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm scared for my friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by flavor, Sep 5, 2016.

1. flavor

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My bisexual friend had the opportunity to go to a world-renowned LGBT+ community today. She had been wanting to go since they had come to their hotel (they're on vacation), but she knew her parents would say no because, according to her, they're homophobic. So she asked her parents if she could go out alone somewhere. They said yes, so she hopped on a train over to the community to see what was up. I had told her to at least tell her parents where she was, just in case for safety (because we're both quite young, and I was surprised her parents let her go), and she did. Turns out they looked up the place and it came up as an accepting place for LGBT+ people. Her father called her and asked her why she was there. Afterward, she called me and told me about how he sounded suspicious of her. She was crying really hard and she didn't know what to do, and I felt so bad because I was the one who had told her to tell her parents where she was in the first place. Eventually, she calmed down a little, and she took the train back. But she was still scared and she didn't want to face her parents and explain everything, including her sexuality. She just isn't ready. When she got to the hotel, her parents weren't there, but I had to hang up because she thought she heard them coming in. I haven't heard from her for a couple hours now. I don't know what to do. Please, please, please help!

(If you were wondering, her parents don't seem like the abusive or violent type and they're really close. She's worried that she'll have to come out and that everything will change, not that they will kick her out or something like that.)

2. Meatballs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know that, by now, obviously your situation would have changed and your friend would have told you how her parents reacted (at least I hope). The main thing to do is simply be there for your friend -she might not want to spend too much time at home right now, since things are probably super uncomfortable, so offering your place as a kind of 'safe' spot would be nice. You don't have to hang out the whole time, she just might want to watch TV and be calm for awhile.

Your friend is probably very upset and distressed, because so much has happened so fast and she wasn't prepared. You are probably quite distressed as well, because you care for your friend and their wellbeing.

Please don't be upset with yourself for telling her to tell her parents where she was going -you were only concerned for your safety. You might feel guilty, but it was her decision to tell her parents.

I hope everything ends up okay
    xx