1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend Mad Because I won't have sex with him

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dopplershift94, Sep 8, 2016.

1. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my one friend had a crush on me and told me about a year ago. He recently told me that he still does.

I told him that I didn't feel the same way a year ago, and that I still don't.

We still hangout fairly often. And recently though, he's been angry at me because he says that he just wants to date someone, and that he's mad that I won't date him. He then said that we should have sex since he has urges to have sex with me. I have told that I am not interested and he continues to be mad at me because I won't have sex with him.

I'm also president of the LGBTQ club at my school, and at our last event, he wouldn't even talk to me because he knows that I'm kinda seeing this other guy who transferred to the school this semester. He is getting extremely jealous.

I've tried being nice, and I've tried comforting him. But his petty jealousy is getting to me. How do I deal with him?

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you know if your friend is also bi or gay?

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats dangerous behaviour. It sounds like he believes you owe it to him to have sex with him.
    Break the friendship. Nobody should be so pressured to have sex or be in a relationship with anybody. Its not fair. Explain to him that you do not owe him anything, tell him to get over himself and, finally, tell him you are no longer friends.

His behaviour is that of the classic 'nice guy' male... Except he is acting more in the open and more rashly. I dont wish to scare you but I feel that I have to warn you, from what you have told us, he sounds like he is a potential physical threat to your person.
    He believes that he has put all this effort in being your friend, being there for you when you need him, doing you favours etc so... where is his reward? You keep playing hard to get and spurning his advances and yet you jump on the new guy like its nothing. Thats not fair! ... Well you dont owe him ANYTHING. Your friend sounds very immature indeed and I very much doubt that he is the nice guy he undoubtedly thinks he is.

Maybe I am going overboard here but, to me, this sounds like a classic case of nice guy syndrome.

#3 Robert, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  4. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I mean, we have been friends for almost two years. And it's been over a year when he told me he had a crush me. And when I told him no the first time, he was cool with it. Suddenly a year later, he's been a jerk about it.

He told me that he's tired of being rejected by people, and I told him that he'll find someone eventually and that it will take time to find someone and get over me.

You're right, I don't owe him anything. But I've been trying to be nice enough so I don't break the friendship. I hate giving up on people. I think he has other issues that he needs to deal with. I have told him to go to counseling, but he hasnt.

Thanks for the advice though. You are right!

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2016 at 01:06 AM ----------

Yes, he's in the LGBTQ organization that I'm the president of. And has told me that he has a crush on me.

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Robert. That sounds like a red flag to me.

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I got that. I wasn't clear. I was headed where Robert was going, but from my perspective sometimes gay guys (no offense intended) can tend to assume 'liberties' with bi guys. That's why I asked. Either way he seems to be really rude about this.

7. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey dopplershift94,

I agree with the other posts here. From what you've said he is really trying to pressure you into having sex with him which is completely unacceptable. I'd second Robert's suggestion that you break off your friendship with him - not just for the reasons that Robert stated but also so he has some space to get over his crush on you.

If, however, you don't want to give up on him then perhaps you could confront him directly about it? Maybe meet somewhere public and tell him that his behaviour is unacceptable and that he has to accept that you are interested in him romantically? Perhaps, you could tell how his behaviour has made you feel uncomfortable and that he needs to control himself better because he can't force someone to love him? If you have another friend you could confide in and talk about this then you might want to do that as well (you could always take them along for some support if you decide to confront your friend).

Personally, I think that unless he gets some distance from you his crush won't subside but it's up to you whether you want to talk to him and try resolve this. (Btw I think talking to another friend if you can will be a big help to you regardless of what you decide to do.)

8. iiimee

I agree with Robert and Barbatus here- Even if you don't break off the friendship, you should definitely at least confront him publicly. There's really nothing else you can do except tell him you're not interested, and if he doesn't accept that he sounds more like a rapist than a friend. I mean, even if we put ourselves in his situation, I don't think anyone on this thread would have acted like he did over mere unrequited love- which leads me to believe his behavior is a little bit, if not plenty odd. Good luck friend! I hope you can either cram the idea that you don't like him into your brain, or otherwise break it off with him if you have to.

9. Chubba

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea.....if he doesn't respect your boundaries...you are gonna have to out some distance around him. However, if you don't want to break off the friendship....confront like everyone says....but I was also thinking if his viewpoint to...he's tired of feeling rejected and I know I got bitter when it happened. He's frustrated....encourage him to work on his style and approach...help him find another one. Encourage him to talk to a therapist. Just guide him to the direction that he can take care of himself.

10. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all,

Thanks for the advice. I think that I'm going to tell him that I am going to give him space so he can get over it.

All of your advice was extremely helpful, and I do appreciate it.

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the others. Sounds like classical nice guy/friendzoning crap. Even gay/bi men can do it.

I had a really huge crush on my best friend once. She said no. Wanna know what I did? I got over it and accepted the friendship for what it was. That being said, it was hard to get over it at first so I wanted space from her, but I never pressured her into anything. She understood and we're still best friends to this day.

A real friend will understand. You're doing the right thing by giving him space and only time will tell whether he can accept this and continue being a good friend to you.

12. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey dopplershift94,

I hope that works out. Just a final thought - you might still want to tell another friend who is around in case things don't go so smoothly. I'm not trying to be a pessimist, I really hope giving him some distance goes well, I'm just saying it might be an idea to have someone to support you as well. Hope it goes well though and you can put behind you.

13. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! I appreciate it! <3!

14. LezLuther

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    severe that friendship completely. you owe him nothing.

*edit: lol, just realised that been said. good advice tho :wink:

#14 LezLuther, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016