1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Feeling's Too Strong

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by conflictedmetro, Sep 9, 2016.

1. conflictedmetro

Honestly, I can't deal with my sexuality.

What do you do when you're closeted, gay, and have a crush on the most amazing guy you've ever met?

Answer: Feel sorry for yourself.

I can't express enough how much I feel for this guy, it's almost as though he's leading me on, but I can't be sure so I'm holding onto some wild dream that someday in the near future, he'll swoop me up in his arms, kiss me, and make my dreams come true--cause I dream about him. Really, I do.

Talking to him and spending very little time with him during the school year left me with some unfulfilled desire. Every time I see or hear his name I get butterflies (I know, typical schoolboy crush) but I don't have a choice! I want to be with him, but I was sort of cruel towards him whenever we talked, I can't even say I really believe he sees me as a friend, though, I'm a really sensitive person...

Nevertheless, I thought it was over when school ended. I figured I'd be able to get over him, find some other cute, gay guy to get hung up on, but I made the stupid decision of staying in contact, doing stuff together and the like. Now I can't shake this feeling.

And I hate it.

I absolutely hate it.

I want to ask him if he's gay, but I don't want things to be weird between us if he's not. And if he is, I may have missed a great opportunity to be with an amazing guy. :tears:

What do I do...!?!? :bang:

2. 101DeadRoses

(Long post, spoilers).

Okay, first of all, calm down.

I know this is very important to you, for obvious reasons, but panicking and stressing about it won't get you anything but a headache.
    Before you do anything else, just take a day to calm down. Play video games, read a book, whatever relaxes you and is completely unrelated to love or crushes or even LGBT things. Just get your mind off of this for a while so you can come back to it with a clear head. Turn off your phone and computer if you have to and just take some time to relax. Harder said than done, I know, but you'll thank me (and yourself).

There isn't anything wrong with what you're feeling. It's normal to like someone who is, in your words, "amazing". There's nothing wrong with it at all.
    This is just going to take some time.
    Start with talking to him more. No big displays of affection yet, just talk to him more.
    If you do that, you can mend any splits and be sure that he does view you as a friend. You don't have to be glued to him 24/7, just make an effort to let him know that you want to be around him. If you've said something that upset him, apologize, and, in general, just try to be a good friend.
    Also, while you're doing this, try and find someone to talk to about all of this, preferably someone IRL, but on here if you can't trust anyone else. It will help INCREDIBLY to talk to someone, even if they just listen to how you're feeling and let you know they care instead of walking you through it step-by-step.

Then, on to the part you seem more worried about.

First of all, don't be so worried about what he would think of you if you asked if he was gay. As long as you make it clear that you're just curious about who he's into, he shouldn't take it in any other way than an innocent question.
    Besides, if he takes the very idea of you thinking that there was a possibility that he was gay as an attack or insult, he's probably homophobic anyway, and therefore not worth your time.

Now for the actual process of asking him.

There are a bunch of ways you can ask him, from asking what he thinks about gay marriage and what it means to saying something like "I don't mean to be intrusive, but I just don't want to assume anything incorrect about you. Do you like guys, girls, or both?".
    You can be straightforward or roundabout, and for people who aren't too dug into their closeted cover, a roundabout "What do you think of same-sex marriage?" often prompts out something like "I sure would love to find a nice guy/girl and settle down someday". And if he's straight and supports it, he'll just talk about how he supports it.
    But, if he's gay, and a little more closeted, he might just say "I support it" and it may take a little more work to get an actual answer out of him.

A straightforward way is a little more risky and bold, so you'll want to be careful with it. DON'T ASK HIM AROUND OTHER PEOPLE.
    Make it clear that you are just curious and that you won't judge him if he is or isn't, but don't say it enough to be weird.
    Just say that you don't want to make any assumptions about his sexual and romantic orientation, and just want to know.

Like my example earlier, try saying something along these lines:

"Hey man, I know this is kind of a weird question, but I was just wondering if you like girls or guys? No judgement either way, I just don't want to make any unfair assumptions about who you're into."

And make sure that you accept whatever his answer is. While there IS a chance that he could like you even if he's straight (think heteroflexible), it's still just a chance, so don't push too hard. If he shows interest in you even if he says he's straight, continue with the next step.
    But if he's gay, just treat him kindly and let him see the real you.
    Be genuinely nice and flirt a little if you want. If you see him in an outfit you like or something, just tell him that you like his shirt or whatever. If you like his hair, say it.
    Don't be pushy, but don't be rude to cover your feelings either.
    Basically, just treat him like you normally would, but be a little nicer and spend some more time with him.

Then, if all goes well, ask him out. You don't have to say "PLEASE DATE ME", just ask him if he'd like to hang out or get dinner, just you and him, sometime.

But remember to breathe and calm down. Don't panic. Panic leads to bad decisions, which leads to more panic, and the whole thing loops, but can be avoided if you just stay calm and remember that it's not the end of the world if he gets the impression that you're asking because you're interested. If you just don't flirt with him for a while, he'll probably just think that he misread you. People's minds work like that a lot. I am commonly misread to be angry with someone, upset by something they said, or even crying when I'm just lost in thought or paying attention to what they're saying, so if you crack a little and he suspects, just act like you don't notice (or, if he jokingly asks if you're interested, joke back), and he'll just assume that he was wrong, so you can make your move when you're ready instead of floundering.

And a little helper for flirting if you're too nervous to flirt; Pretend to be someone more confident. Don't change your name or anything, just put yourself in the shoes of someone you know who's more confident in flirting.

And remember; This is NOT impossible. You can be with him. You just have to afford him the same respect you would have someone else afford to you, and be kind (and flirt a little), and he'll probably realize that you're worth his while.

Good luck!

I hope I helped.