1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a (potential) partner?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Vincisomething, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Vincisomething

I'm demisexual, but I guess this can relate to any orientation or identity. I'm asking mostly for demisexuality because we're constantly excluded from the LGBTQAP+ community (which is funny because I've never had an asexual attempt to erase us...☕) and we're not seen "queer" enough as the other orientations that make up LGBTQAP+ minus the A.

Also, I don't have a specific person in mind, but because of all the erasure, I'm hesitant to tell anyone that I am demisexual. Of some of the friends I told*, the closest one who came to accept it didn't understand it completely (which is fine because at least he made an attempt to understand). I think because of the things the others (friends) have said* in regards to my sexuality has caused this sort of "mini trauma" where I'd rather not. However, I want to be with a partner that completely understands differing orientations and identities without worrying about judgement or "the right time."

So, how and when? I'm not afraid to kick someone out if they devalued or erased any part of me, but the buildup and the let down is just... :dry:

* "lol that's everyone" - the classic. Also the first one I came out to the first day I discovered my sexuality. Yikes.
    "you're oppressing asexual bc you still have the ability to feel sexual attraction" - so you mean in the same way a bisexual has the ability to be straight? I'm sure they'd be happy to hear that.

- both said by the most allosexual people i know.

#1 Vincisomething, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016