1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally broke up with boyfriend because I'm gay. I'm hurting!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Laura27, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been in a relationship with him for nearly three years, I've known him from when I was 18 years, now I am 21. He shaped my personality and person in a good way. We are compatible people and we can talk about anything. I've never met someone with whom I have such a good connection. We share an amazing group of friends.

Over these past three years I've treated him not as good as I should have. I was able to give him all the love a best friend can, but I quickly started to resent the romantic and the sexual part of it. But I decided that I could not afford to lose him. He was my best friend.

Over the last three years I have thought every single day about breaking up with him. I did, three times, and failed three times. I got annoyed by all the interactions we had. I shut down his affection completely. I did not want to force myself to have sex with him again. I thought I was wasting my time with him. We decided to not ever move in together. I have told him from the beginning that I did not want to stay together with him forever because I am either bisexual with a really strong preference for women, or gay. I love him and want to see him and want nothing but happiness for him, but I do not want to be in a relationship with him. In short: breaking up was the right thing to do.

Today I feel calm for the most part, but I suddenly broke down crying while I put away the decorations and books he and his parents got me over these past years. This is really hard! I guess I need some advice to get through this once and for all.

2. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Laura27,

I just had a couple of thoughts. First, you did the right thing and it takes a lot of courage to be honest with yourself and to live your life honestly. From what you've said there's no way you could have stayed in that relationship - it can't have been good for either of you. Second, it sounds like you have an invested a lot of time and effort (and it has been reciprocated) so it's going to take a while to adjust. (Btw are you packing these reminders away on purpose or was that just some general tidying up?). But you'll adjust and then you will be free to find someone who you can be in a relationship with.

I went out with a girl for a few months, years ago now - I know it's not as long as your relationship - but from the beginning I felt like I was lying for whole duration of it. I thought I had an opportunity to be 'normal' but all it did was confirm that I like guys. I still feel bad about doing that to someone but without it I may not have come to terms with being gay. (I don't know if this is similar to some of what you have been feeling.)

Sorry that's not really advice - the only thing I can think of is to keep busy, preferably with a hobby or some maybe hang out with some other friends who don't really know you boyfriend. You'll get through this and keeping busy will just help keep your mind occupied. I hope this helps.

3. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It helped :slight_smile: thank you for your reply. I am doing a lot better. I have invested a lot in this relationship, it was for me the only chance to a 'normal' straight life.

I don't understand what you meant by 'Btw are you packing these reminders away on purpose or was that just some general tidying up?'

Yes, the situations are similar, and yes, I also felt like I was lying the entire time. More specifically, that I was acting the entire thing. I did not feel it, but society taught me how to behave in a certain way around my boyfriend. So it is for the better that we're done. Also because I know for sure that I am gay. That helps me to calm myself a bit, that means it was the best decision.

I feel better today. My life is really busy at the moment so I get distracted, which is good. Just sometimes suddenly really sad because I might lose a good friend. But it is for the better.

4. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Laura27,

I felt the same - that I was lying to everyone for the chance to be a normal person but it is what made me realise that I wasn't normal and I couldn't be.

I'm glad you are feeling better. It's a long time to be with someone but you are able to move on your life. I hope your ex understands and you can remain friends but if you don't, I hope you don't feel bad - society makes it difficult for us to be honest and rewards us for lying (how messed up right?).

I'm glad you are busy and got thing to focus on - those sad moments will subside over time. Feel free to get in touch on my wall if you want chat. Sounds like you have the right mindset though :slight_smile: Hope you continue to feel better and better.

P.S. I just wondered if you were trying to put anything associated with him away for a while so it doesn't remind you or if you were just tidying up?