1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GSJSol3, Sep 14, 2016.

1. GSJSol3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi all,

So this is new for me - like all of it. I've only recently come to terms with my own sexuality and have the courage to talk about it openly. I'm still in the process of coming out but - I need to share my story.

I have a friend of mine who I've known since college (6 years) and we're very close. One would say best friends. For years I've kept my sexuality internal struggle a secret but that's all changed recently as he messaged me out of nowhere and came out to me. I promptly came out to him in response for first time ever in my life - as it was mind blowing someone I consider to be so close to was going through something so similar to myself and I had no idea. He told me he was afraid to tell me because - he thought I'd be freaked out that he 'liked me' which he said it's not like that. Again he thought I was straight. We've talked about it a bit since then being supports and such - how to talk to family and such.

The truth I've realized is that ... I like him...and I really want to tell him. At the same time we're really good friends and by telling him this it could severely impact our friendship in an awkward way if he's not interested - we've had the relationship of 'best bros' for so long - which I'd feel horrible about and probably regret telling him ... But keeping my feelings to myself and bottled up isn't doing me any good - so I need advice from the community I'm just beginning to start my journey in.

2. Rainbows~Exist

I'd say wait and see how/if your friendship becomes stronger and develops. Try and pick up any slight changes in his behaviors when he's around you, if you notice that he sits closer to you than before or if there's more playful touching (Not in a sexual way) then chances are he might be interested in you too; if not I suggest you try and flirt with him a little. Make it subtle to the point of it being unnoticeable and if you see your efforts being reciprocated make it more obvious that you like him. If he's one of those clueless guys that don't pay much attention then well... you can either just chance it and flat out tell him or hide your feelings (Not always a good thing to do...)

Try not to confuse 'liking' him for liking him as a friend but most importantly, do what you think is the best option. Good luck :slight_smile:

3. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do what you feel is best, you just need to guage the situation.

I was in a similar position this year, and I waited before telling him because I wanted to get to know him more and see if he liked me back... But when I told him it turned out I'd waited too long, cause he actually did like me, but then thought I wasn't interested and started dating a girl.

But you are right, telling too early can also be awkward. BUT, it sounds like since you are already very accepting of each other and respect the friendship, it would probably be ok to tell him :slight_smile: