1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with long distance relationship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by tri137, Sep 17, 2016.

1. tri137

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me and my boyfriend are in a long distance relationship since he went away to college in Ithaca (I live on long Island) and I have been having a bit of a hard time adjusting. It's been easier for him to adjust to the long distance because he's going to a new school and he's meeting new friends and going to class every day. I've been having a harder time adjusting because nothing has changed for me, I still have the same friends, the same room, the same town, the only thing that's changed is that my boyfriend is now 250 miles away. I also feel like I'm a little jealous of him because all of his new friends are so easily accessible and he can hang out with any of them whenever he wants because they are all like a 5 minute walk away, whereas with my friends I need to make a plan with them and I need to drive to them. I am able to go and visit my boyfriend at school because I have a car and he's only a 5 hour drive away, however I don't have a job right now and gas costs money, so until I get money I can't visit him that much. I also feel like I'm missing out on all the stuff he's doing with his friends because I'm not able to be there with him. I also can't hang out with my friends as often as he can because my friends all have jobs and his don't because they are doing school. I'm just a big sorta mess of emotions right now about all of this and I'm not sure how to sort them out and I want to feel better about the whole long distance thing so that way I'm not thinking about it all the time.

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello tri137, I will you give you some of my opinions. =)

Before I start, let me tell you that I currently am in a long-distance relationship as well. However, mine started as a long-distance relationship, so that's a bit different to yours. Moreover, my boyfriend actually lives in the United States, whereas I live in the Netherlands (in Europe). =)

Things that will help you sustain a long-distance relationship all have to do with good communication. It really helps if you guys can Skype (or face chat via some other program), and be sure to chat a lot. =] If you are with your boyfriend, you basically see him do a lot of things. In a long-distance relationship, you sort of miss out (most) of what he is doing. It is therefore important to keep each other updated about small things as well. If something funny happened, be sure to tell him. You will see it makes the relationship a lot better. :icon_bigg Communication is key, if you feel sad about not seeing him, tell him! Don't keep those feelings to yourself. I've cried with my boyfriend while face chatting, it can happen. You will see that talking about your feelings to your boyfriend makes it easier for both of you.

Cheers,

Quem