1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do when you live with transphobic and homophobia people?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ramlethal, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Ramlethal

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I keep hearing my family say that trans people and gay people are freaks/weird. They have more frustration towards trans people and often talk about if your born a boy then you must be one , act like one and dress like one , don't mutilate yourself and use the male bathroom. They told me when we were in a store to stand guard outside bathrooms to make sure anything that looks like a dude doesn't walk in.

I won't say more but lately have been unbearable to deal with.

I feel like taking my own life is better than dealing with them for much longer. :frowning2:

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did not deal with these people...I moved out...but then again..I was at the age where I was able to do so where as some people are not and rely on family for dependency. Unfortunately, if that's the case...you either move in with someone who you can trust and have no issues with your sexuality or you may have to endure until you are able to move out and more than likely...this is done by staying away from the home until its time for you to go to bed.

3. Crukie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Ramlethal!

I'm sorry that you were put into this unfavorable situation. Unfortunately, many people in the LGBT community don't have the privilege to be born into an accepting family or to remove themselves from an non-accepting one; such as life.

You only really have three options (this applies to any situation btw): and these options can be abbreviated to the word "CAR"

C-Change- Am I able to change the situation? (in your case, can you change the opinions and views of your family members?)

A-Accept- Can I accept the situation as it is? (in your case, can you continue to live with your family even though their behavior are unbearable to you?)

R-Remove- Can I remove myself from this situation? (in your case, can you move out of your family's house?)

With your situation, I would assume that you would want to REMOVE yourself because it seems like your family is not willing to CHANGE. In addition, you have clearly stated that it is not possible for you to ACCEPT your situation (understandably).

So as JonSomebody mentioned, if you are dependent on your family you may have to endure (ACCEPT) your situation as it is for now. For you to REMOVE yourself from this situation you need to be able to find a place to live that is safe for you and ideally be making a stable income (or have a significant amount of savings). Try to get a job so you don't have to spend as much time in contact with your family.

Good luck! We'll be rooting for you~

4. Ramlethal

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If only those were easy for me to do. :frowning2: