1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close Friend/Crush Confusion Woes-please help!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by whimsy99, Sep 18, 2016.

1. whimsy99

Humph. Where to begin? Firstly, thank you very much to whoever reads this. :slight_smile: I greatly appreciate it.
    So, I am a 19-year old girl who thought she was straight up until this summer when she developed a crush on a close female friend. We have only known each other for about 7 months, but have so much in common that (after getting over mutual shyness) we became extremely close. We met at work, where she pretty quickly came out to me as bi and I told her I was straight (we were discussing LGBT+ characters in a book.)
    I realized this August that I had developed romantic feelings for this friend, and went through the subsequent process of being thrown for a loop, but relatively quickly accepted the feelings and proceeded to tell said friend. (I am not the kind of person who finds it easy to just not tell someone something like that, if I am close to them.)
    When I confessed my feelings for me her initial reaction was mostly one of shock, but was supportive and we talked it out. I mainly just said that I understood she didn’t feel the same way, and that she was an important person to me and I want to keep her in my life. She went along with me saying that she didn’t have any feelings for me. She did say some things about how she thought I was cute when I started work at her location and that she had shut down thinking about me that way when I said I was straight. I was worried that my confession would make her uncomfortable, and she said that wasn’t the case, it was just that she has a tendency to want to respond when people have feelings for her??? (I am not entirely what she wanted to accomplish by telling me that. I think that she was going to try to not respond since she didn’t have feelings for me.)
    In a lot of ways that conversation brought us closer. I would say we are more verbally and physically affectionate than we were before.
    Now, I just want to caveat that I’ve been dealing with some other difficult things in my life, and I haven’t had much emotional or mental energy to figure out what I am about to describe has happened. So please forgive me if I seem somewhat oblivious. I also want to say that a lot of the things she said seem to have been said as purely a friend (in a sharing information kind of way), and also that she has a tendency to be rather analytical and just say things in a ‘that’s interesting’ kind of way without sometimes realizing their full emotional import. But she is generally an emotionally intelligent person.
    So, what has me confused now is that in the past couple of weeks she has said some things that I brushed off at first, but are now puzzling me:
    1. When we were discussing sexuality in general and our own experiences in particular she said, “It can be difficult for me to tell, with close female friends, if my feelings are platonic or romantic.”
    2. “Well, I don’t have any guys around for you, but if you ever want to do any experimenting on this end,” (as in, with girls) “I’m here.”
    3. She was saying how she has been talking to someone else about us hanging out and the stuff we done, and she said that the other person said what we were doing sounded like a new relationship, like doing new things together, etc.
    4. We were watching a movie in my basement when my little sister came in, and my little sister said “sorry to interrupt you, you were just about to get to the making out part weren’t you” (in a joking way.) And I said “no, more like just about to sob” (the movie was sad) and my friend said “hey, at least let us have a bit of fun and make out first.)
    5. Apparently her mother had said it would be fun if we got an apartment together (btw that would actually not be at all feasible right now) but when my friend told me this I was getting all happy and squeaky about the idea of us being roommates, and she jokingly said I should move into her house.
    I am just rather confused. I guess what I’m wondering is, could she be possibly developing feelings for me and trying to drop hints? Or maybe she’s just confused? Or maybe something else???
    ANY insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    And if any more information would be helpful just ask.

2. whimsy99

3. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi whimsy99,

Sounds like you have a lot going on (even without the other things you alluded to). From what you have said it sounds like there could be something between you two. Some people can only develop romantic attachment to someone they know very well so that may be why she's behaving this way now she knows you are available.

Have you thought or would you be prepared to ask her out on a date? (I don't know how settled you are on being attracted to girls but as you are questioning you might want to wait on this option?) If that would make you uncomfortable perhaps you could ask her whether her feelings for you have changed now (since previously she thought you were off limits)? It sounds like you are quite close and so maybe you could just speak to her about how you are feeling about her?

Sorry I don't really have an alternative but I think that if you feel you can talk to her about things then that is probably the best approach as it would give you both a chance to be clear with each other. Hope this helps and if not hopefully someone else will have some advice. All the best and hope you get it figured out.

4. whimsy99

Thank you so much for your reply, Barbatus. :slight_smile:

First things first, just wanted to say that though I am still questioning, I am pretty sure that I am attracted to women at least a little bit of the time. And I am also completely, 100% sure that my feelings for my friend are romantic, not just platonic. I don't think I'm quite prepared to ask her on a date. I think my best bet, like you said, would just be to try to talk to her about it. I guess part of me is just scared that even asking for clarification would ruin our friendship (even though I know that wouldn't happen.) So yeah, I guess it might be a good idea to say that I still do have these feelings for her and gently question whether or not her feelings have changed (and saying why it kind of seems that way to me)?

Secondly, we just spent quite a lot of time together, and a couple of things happened that are confusing me further. She spent the night, and when it was getting late we ended up lying on my bed talking (it's quite a narrow bed.) After talking for quite some time she got up to go use the bathroom or something, and when she came back she turned off the light and laid back down. We ended up snuggling, and spoon-cuddling. We were playing with each others hair, I gave her a little neck massage, etc. We stayed like that, giggling and cuddling until very late and then she moved onto the mattress on the floor to sleep (we both have minor insomnia so would have been difficult to actually sleep on the same bed.) At one point she kissed my shoulder in an affectionate way.

Now I understand that plenty of friends cuddle all the time (including me with other friends.) And I would do almost all the same things in a strictly platonic situation. But I guess I would really appreciate it if someone could give their thoughts on this happening?

And if anyone has any more thoughts in regard to my original post I would really appreciate that as well.

Y'all are the best! Thanks a million!

5. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    H Whimsy99,

I'm glad you feel certain that your feelings for her are romantic - it should make it a lot easier for you to be clear with her if you decide to speak to her.

Regarding the spooning - the same actions can have different meanings depending on the context. From what you have said it does sound quite intimate - would you say it is more intimate that when you cuddle your other friends? It's hard to know whether this means more to her or not without knowing more about her - thus you are the best judge as to her behaviour. Either way it is clear that you are both comfortable with each other and hopefully this will make you more confident about approaching her about your feelings (which I still think remains your best option). However, take some time to think about it and what you might say to her - see what other people here have to say as well (I'm assuming that you are ok to wait for a bit before speaking to her or are you particularly to resolve this soon?)

6. whimsy99

Thanks again for the response, Barbatus! <3

Exactly, that's why I'm so confused, because I know that the same actions can have different meanings based on their context. I know that for me, the cuddling I did with her was more intimate than what I've done with other friends. (But I have no way of knowing whether or not it was more intimate that what SHE has done with HER friends.) We have both clearly stated to each other that we are very physically affectionate people.

I agree with you that approaching her about my feelings is the best route to go. Well, as much as there is a part of me that wants clarification RIGHT NOW, I think waiting a bit might be a good idea. Just to sort out what to say, etc. Because bottom line is that underneath my romantic feelings I simply care about her deeply as a friend. I want to figure out how to discuss this with her without making it seem like I'm 'accusing' her of anything, and in a way that will allow us to continue being close friends.

If anyone has any suggestions of what to say to her I would greatly appreciate it!

Right now I'm thinking something along the lines of: "So, there have been a couple of things that you have said/done recently that have made me a little confused. Like I said before, the most important thing to me is that you are a wonderful friend, and I want to keep you in my life. I just wanted to be clear that I still do have romantic feelings for you, and while I definitely want to try to let those die if...(I dunno, something like "given that you said you did not reciprocate said feelings), because of those feelings these things you have done/said made me have a certain emotional response. I guess what I'm trying to say, in a completely no-pressure way, is if your feelings towards me have changed at all? If yes, that's fine, and if not, perfectly fine, and if you don't know, also perfectly fine! I'm just finding myself in need of a little clarification."

Thoughts?

7. whimsy99

Well, I think I'm gonna try to talk to her tomorrow. This is just kinda eating me up. :/ Uncertainty sucks!

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this as low-pressure on her as possible? Wish me luck!

8. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi whimsy99,

First, well done on deciding to speak to her. I know it won't be easy but it is the most direct way to get clarity.

I think the gist of what you want to say is clear. You might want to consider the suggestion that it is her actions that have confused you - not that that is untrue but it might come across as accusatory if not phrased right. I'm not really sure about how to phrase it. Maybe you could start by talking about coming out to her and how it was a bit of a shock and that you don't want her to think you were deceiving her when you told her you were straight (which she will understand because coming out is not an easy process and it isn't always clear to the person themselves).

This might be a good way to open a discussion about your feelings and then you could ask her whether her feelings have changed at all. What you seem to need to know is if she said that she wasn't interested because you identified as straight and when you came out she didn't not corrected that impression because you were going through quite a bit. Otherwise I think what you want to say is clear and, depending on what she is like, being more direct might be better - you'll have to use you judgement about her. I think you ending on the explanation that you need clarification is really good - you should definitely mention it as it explains why you are speaking to her about it.

Also just remember you don't have to speak to her tomorrow if you feel like you are rushing it. Having said that, if you speak to her I hope it goes well and brings you some clarification. Let me know if you want to. Best of luck.

9. whimsy99

Barbatus,

Thanks for all your help! :slight_smile: Thought I might as well let you know how things went down!

I did end up talking to her day before yesterday. I agreed with you about the saying her actions were confusing me being accusatory, so I just ended up saying that I appreciated all her support but it seemed to me that her feelings might have changed, and could she please clarify for me.

At this point she said she didn't know exactly what her feelings for me were (in terms of platonic vs. romantic). We ended up in an EXTREMELY long conversation (lol, doesn't help that we both like to talk things to death), but it was good. Basically there are a lot of things going on in her head (including that, like she said, she frequently struggles with knowing whether or not her feelings for close female friends are romantic). I reiterated my feelings for her, and we had a good talk about not wanting to ruin our friendship.

And then *blushes* we decided to try some kissing and more cuddling to see how it went. So....my very first kiss ended up being with a girl! Didn't see that one coming. We kissed and cuddled for a while, and then decided we would give each other our reactions/opinions today.

That conversation ALSO lasted for a couple/few hours. I shared that I enjoyed all of the kissing/cuddling, but that I was also feelings like especially if she is still confused, that I'm not in the best place in my life right now for a relationship. And that maybe right now the best way we can support each other is as friends. She said that while she was mostly comfortable with our little 'experiment', it didn't really clarify anything. (What doesn't help here is that she is thinking she might be on the asexual spectrum.) So basically she said she is still confused, but leaning towards her feelings toward me being platonic.

We came to a mutual conclusion that remaining strictly friends is the best things right now. So, while logically I completely agree with that, my heart is hurting a bit. It just kinda sucks. Why did I have to fall for HER? Why not some random girl that I could just forget about??? Ugh.

What's gonna be difficult now is figuring out what types of verbal/physical affection might feed my crush/stop it from dying. Because, to be frank, a LOT of the stuff we were doing ('experiment' aside) is stuff I do with other friends.

Anyone have any advice on maintaining a friendship while trying to let feelings fade? Thanks!

10. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi whimsy99,

That's great that your conversations with her went so well - it's really awesome. I hope you are feeling better having gotten some clarity (not complete clarity but that is the case with pesky feelings). But you've achieved a great outcome.

Regarding being friends while trying to deal with these feelings - I can only suggest that you try not to dwell on or over think things. Maybe if you find yourself having a bout of strong emotions for her you could just do something to distract yourself - like think about other girls or an activity that takes your mind off it. Sorry that's pretty poor advice but the key thing is to have a way of distracting yourself or having an outlet if you find that your emotions are getting a bit much.

One other thing, just be more aware of what you do. So if you find yourself missing her but don't really have anything to say then maybe don't text her while you feel like that. Its a bit tricky and will require some judgement on your part as you spend a lot of time with her and you know what you normally do. So if you normally text without a pretext then keep doing it.

I'll try and have a think of some other ideas but I think you will be alright. Just be aware that the more you indulge in emotions the stronger they become, hence the importance of distraction. Anyway well done on speaking to her and I'm really pleased you got some answers. Hope this helps and use EC if you find it gets a bit difficult.

11. whimsy99

Barbatus,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your help throughout this whole situation! (*hug*) It has helped so much to talk to someone objective and caring. I will definitely keep your advice about distraction and not indulging in my feelings in mind. I think you're definitely right about that. And even if it stings a bit right now, at least I get to keep a very good friend! There are much worse ways this could have ended!

12. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi whimsy99,

I'm really pleased that you got a positive result and have been able to strengthen your friendship. It can't have been easy being so direct but you've shown a great deal of courage in resolving things so well. I'm glad I was able to help.

I'm going to send you a friend request but feel free to reject it (I won't be offended) but it's so you know you can get in touch if you want some help or just someone to talk again. Again, really pleased for you. *hugs*

13. CharacterStudy

Just wanted to say how much I admire your logical approach to this. It is so refreshing. I think logic and honesty are a great asset in a friendship, and I hope as long as you two keep calm, and honest with each other, you will be okay, whatever the outcome.

I have had a few (opposite sex) friends-experiment-revert to friends type relationships, and by being able to look as objectively as possible at the situation, we have been able to keep things cool and sane, and are still friends decades later.

14. whimsy99

Hey CharacterStudy, Thanks so much for saying that! :slight_smile: Because honestly, my heart's kinda hurting right now and this just kinda sucks, so it's good to know that someone else thinks I approached this the right way.