1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homecoming dance advice?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by 3n, Sep 19, 2016.

1. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This upcoming dance is the first dance I've ever gone with someone to. None the less with a same-sex date! Any advice or tips?

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you already asked him - or has he already asked you? Formally?

3. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I already asked him :grin:

4. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I left similar advice on a thread, but I'll summarize it again here: know your rights, know your plans in advance, and just have fun.

I say know your rights, in that there are laws protecting you and your date and allowing you to go to a dance without facing any bullying/harassment. So if anybody tries to give you a hard time (student or staff), you'll have something to protect yourself with. That's a worst case scenario though, and the odds of it happening are very low, but you can never be too careful, right? It'll only help you to know though, even if you never end up actually using the knowledge.

Plan in advance, and don't leave everything to the last minute. Don't be afraid to strike up the conversation about groups, flowers, rides, any parties, restaurants, etc. The more you have planned in advance, the less you have to worry about later.

Last, just have fun! I feel like we LGBT folk worry way too much about the little details. Just let loose and have fun! If anything goes wrong, smile and laugh it off, and don't let it ruin your night. Don't be afraid to dance too! It's awkward to just stand around.

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So have you planned things out? I.e. what the two of you are wearing, who is picking up whom and how, etc - all the little details that help make the evening special? Or is that the kind of advice you're looking for?

I don't know if you've seen this video of a straight guy that asked his gay best friend to the Prom or not - and I know that isn't the case here - but this straight guy went all out and treated his best friend just like he would have treated his female date. Might give you some ideas...

Gay Teen and Straight Best Friend Have the Best Prom Ever

---------- Post added 19th Sep 2016 at 10:28 PM ----------

That's excellent advice, EleanorHunter!