1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating advice for my little bro?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Kodo, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So... My little brother, who is sixteen, was asking me how to tell if someone's into you. Or rather, how to approach someone in a romantic manner. I gave him the best advice I could think of (be brave, amiable, caring, courteous, etc) but to be honest this is way out of my depth. I have never felt for someone in a romantic way nor been flirted with, to my knowledge.

My bro is not a flirty kid. He is pretty reserved, serious, intellectual, very prim and proper. And he, like me, is a little bit socially awkward. Or I'm more awkward and he's more just inexperienced.

Anyway, what kind of advice would you give to him? I want to help but this is not my area of expertise and he doesn't have any other friends but me to ask.

2. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Kodo,

Is there a particular person he has in mind? If so does he know them well enough that he already speaks to them?

If yes, then could he try and spend more time with them by hanging out with them. If not then maybe he could get to know them through shared activities or interests. Like if they are in a club that he would be willing to join then that might be worth doing that.

I'm sorry I don't have much advice regarding how to tell if someone likes you - like you I have no/bad experience with that. But if he wants to get to know them better or get to know them in the first place spending more time with them might be a good way to start.