1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay male couple etiquette?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LarryLC, Sep 23, 2016.

1. LarryLC

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This might not be the right forum to post this but...
    I don't know much about other gay male relationships.

I'm in a married gay relationship, and I know this other couple that is in a married gay relationship. We are monogamous, and I have no reason to think that they aren't.

I have two questions:
    In heterosexual couples, if the women are friends it's fine... and if the men are friends it's fine... but if the a man makes friends with a married woman it's suspect. Everyone thinks there's hanky-panky going on.

Opposites attract, and it the same goes for gay couples. In most couples there is a more masculine one, and a more feminine one. So... Say I'm a gay man who's married and I make friends with a more feminine gay married man. There's nothing going on, but will his partner suspect I'm trying to be MORE than friends with his spouse?

Question #2) Let's complicate the situation.
    Say I'm a gay untransitioned trans-man, and my partner doesn't want me to come out. And I'm in the same situation. The other gay man thinks I'm girl.
    If I ever come out will I get the evil eye from his spouse?
    Should I come out before we get to be really good friends?
    :confused:

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your relationship is strong and healthy, it shouldn't matter that you wish to be friends with another guy - masculine or feminine. If it does matter there is a big issue in the relationship that needs to be addressed. I have to say that I also disagree with the idea that a straight married man/married woman cannot have a friend of the opposite sex without it arousing suspicion.

As far as #2 is concerned, I would suggest it's important for the untransitioned trans-man to be honest from a very early stage. If the trans-man in question intends to create a really good friendship he needs to address the issue of his gender early on. It's not the sort of thing you keep from a close friend. If a spouse gives the 'evil eye' it's the spouses problem.

3. LarryLC

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for responding, PatrickUK.

As a highly libidinous bisexual, I've found that truly platonic friends... where no one is interested the other sexually... are rare.

But so far it feels that way with this guy.