1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsure Future

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MelodySonata, Sep 25, 2016.

1. MelodySonata

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi everyone!
    I'm not sure where I should start, but I desperately need advice. I guess its best if I start from the beginning.

About a year and a half ago, I met this girl through a job on my university campus. I was junior then, and I didn't really pay attention to anyone on the campus due to some family issues going on at the time. She was very distant with everyone else, and we were doing intense work; so I made the first move to introduce myself to her. While I was introducing myself to her,she still was indifferent. Over the next few months, every time I'll come to work I'd say hi, to be friendly. Fast forward to a couple of months, its the end of the semester. We were both working on the same thing, and out of the blue she offers to give her number to me. I was confused, mainly because it appeared that she didn't like me, and I thought it weird. She gave me her number, and that was the last time I'd saw her. I didn't really make a effort to call her over the summer, mainly because I didn't know what to talk about. She'd told me about a boy she dated last semester, and that it didn't work out. The only other time I remember her talking about him, is when she told me "Boys are always trouble". I didn't get a chance to know her more, until last fall when we returned to school for the semester. I began to text her more, and started to know more about her. We became good friends, and I found out what was wrong in the previous semester. She'd move from her house and stayed with her parents, to be closer to school. Her mother was diagnosed with cancer, and she was juggling everything. I felt connected with her even more, because my mother was diagnosed with cancer in high school. But, her mother was still in treatment. As I was slowly learning new things about her, I discovered that I had a lot in common with her. We liked the same things, and I'd felt this connection that I'd never felt before. When we started going to concerts, and events together I slowly started to fall in love her. She's very close with her parents, and their really relgious. They sent her to a catholic school, and she spent most of her life in a relgious environment. I met her mother one time, and I felt like she was watching my every movement. I felt like I had to hide my feelings, or her mother would find out my feelings for her daughter. It was like a straight facade, that I have to keep up whenever I'm around her mother, or her mother will sense something. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but thats how it feels. Since her mother is sick, I didn't want to impose my feelings because I didn't want to give her another thing to worry about. So, I kept my feelings bottled up, and tried to distance myself from her. But, when I did that I got messages from her and I just gave in. I'd become addicted to having her around me. In the present, she still doesn't know my feelings for her and I don't know if I should tell her. I'm in my last year, and I'm going to be traveling to the next state over. I know that the bond I have with her, is the strongest one I ever felt in my life, but I don't know how she'll react. A few days ago, we listened to a song and as we walked to class something in me just reacted. I reached up and touched her hair, and related it to the lead singers. At this moment I was testing to see how she would react, because I'd never touched her the way I touched her hair that day. She started to look around( as if she was worried that someone would see us), and told me she'll see me later. I was disappointed, and started asking myself questions. Was she ashamed? Did she feel the same way. A few days later, we were talking and I did the same thing. She reacted the same way as the first time, and now I'm confused. I don't know if that was a sign that she was interested, or that we should just stay friends. She's never mentioned to me that she was interested in women, but they way she acted on those two days showed me different. I feel selfish for having these feelings, at the time when she needs to spend most of time with her mother. And I also feel bad, knowing that I'll be out of the state for a year, while she finish her last year. I don't know what to do.:help:

2. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi MelodySonata,

Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time. It sounds like you have really hit it off with this girl. You aren't selfish for having these feelings, very few of us want be alone and we cannot help who we like. I think you've acted really well with her mum and by being a good friend to her.

From what you say though it sounds like she hasn't given any indication that she wants to be more than friends. Might it be best to abide by the status quo - just remain her friend and keep in touch while you are away for the year? I'm sorry if that is not very helpful advice but you clearly value your friendship with her and (unless there are things you've not mentioned) you don't really have any grounds to make a move on her - in which case maintaining your friendship seems like the best option.

It's up to you obviously but that would be my suggestion.