1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with relationship anxiety?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by WhiteRaven, Sep 27, 2016.

1. WhiteRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in a relationship with my boyfriend for just about two months. I've only had a serious relationship once before, but it only lasted for about five months, and after three months the love was basically already vanishing.
    I don't fall in love easily, but damn, I love my guy so much... I've never felt like that before and definitely don't want to lose him.

However, I'm also struggling to keep up. I have struggled with bad anxiety when I was younger. Mainly fear for rejection, anger and loss of the ones I love and care about. Those were always my parents and few friends, cause they were my rocks, my lifelines, but now THEIR ties are so secure and strong, I haven't felt real anxiety for years. I thought I was over it. But now I have someone else in my life, someone new, I suddenly experience a flare-up of anxiety and irrational fears.

I'm so afraid to upset him or lose him, even though I know he loves me more than anyone and I can depend on him fully, and have a hard time dealing with him being away/not chatting/talking for even a few hours, even though I desperately want to retain my own personal space too. I'm so afraid to do wrong things and make him feel like I don't want him or am ignoring him (he's a bit insecure himself too). In my heart I know our love is stronger than any of those things, but my mind just over analyses and makes every little thing or frustration on his side a huge matter.
    This is both extremely taxing on MY body and stress levels, and I figure, also on his.

Anyone has advice on how to deal with this? I don't want to give up on him or love. I know it might sound idiotic and desperate, but if I give up now... I don't think I'll easily love again. Not saying it will never happen. I never say never. But since most of this feeling springs from within me and I doubt I'll ever find someone I love as much as him, I would just rather settle on being alone than get hurt again.

2. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gosh this could have been written by me haha. Anxiety is the worst. Mine is my first relationship and although on paper it should be amazing and we both love each other a lot, I over analyse EVERYTHING. I'm desperate not to be overbearing and stressy because I know it's unreasonable but my mind will not let me chill out.

Probably not that helpful but you are not alone. I'm sure it's just something we'll learn to get better at with time.

#2 medic, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016