1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a closet married bisexual - should I come out?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Keith83, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Keith83

So I'm a guy in my thirties, have two kids and a wife I love and would never leave. But I'm bisexual & nobody knows except my best friend. She thinks there's too much to risk from coming out because my wife could resent that I kept this secret from her, I could lose my marriage and my kids. Why do I want to come out? Well because nobody knows who I am. It's a part of me that I have to keep hidden. Yes I find it difficult at times because I often wish I could have a relationship with a guy and it's very tough knowing that will never happen but that's the price I pay for the path I've chosen to go down. My friend feels that even if I came out I couldn't have the relationship I want with a guy anyway so there's literally no gain other than to be out. And who would I be doing that for- would I just be doing it for me? How much would I hurt my wife. Probably a lot. She's not crazy conservative or anything and she's no issue with lgbt people but I'm just not sure she'd have married one. And I think what would really hurt her is that I didn't tell her all this when we got married and then kept it secret all this time. I only came out to my friend a few months ago and it has been so liberating. She's the only person who knows I'm bi but having her to talk to has been amazing and she's been so supportive. In many ways I'm very lucky but I just don't want to stay in a closet my whole life - but I don't want to lose my wife either.
    What does anyone think? I'd welcome any advice or opinions.

2. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's hard to say as you probably can guess your wife's reaction better than us, but I personally feel like coming out as bisexual to your wife shouldn't be such a big deal. It's not that you are gay and don't feel attraction to her, or that you are telling her you've cheated on her. It's just your sexual orientation, a part of who you are. You didn't disclose this earlier on, but we don't tell a lot of things to our partner. Maybe she would be surprised and ask you why you didn't tell her before, but could she really leave you simply because of your sexual orientation?? If you really think so, then it's best not to risk it, given how you two have children as well. Perhaps find other friends you can come out to instead. I would sure hope for your marriage that your wife is someone who can accept this about her husband though.

3. heythere999

Sorry but this personally offended me. You were fully aware of your sexuality and yet you still--- nevermind.

Look, you are bisexual, and you still have these very strong urges and thoughts during your straight marriage. You know what that means? You probably ain't exactly bi, in the sense that your attraction is 50/50.

And there is a gain... It's you being free and living a true life and not living a lie. You CAN come out and you CAN be with a man. Be your damn self and don't be a coward.

You have one life. Don't live it according to some image you have in your head. Yes, it's late, you already have a wife and kids. But now you've learned that you cannot repress these urges forever. Now you can come out, deal with the consequences you, no offense, fully deserve, live an honest life, and then also try to educate people, and to perhaps find a way to make sure other closeted people realize that they cannot repress their thoughts forever.

#3 heythere999, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keith,

Despite what heythere999 says, looking out for the best interests of your family is not cowardly. He's not a parent, so I don't think he really understands your situation in the same way that I do.

With that said, however, I think you should consider the following thoughts I have on your dilemma.

1. It sounds like you have (maybe recent?) strong desires to be with a man. I don't know if there is a particular man that has brought this to the forefront of your mind, but I don't think you were in this much turmoil when you married. Sure, it was there, but I imagine you were in denial about your bisexuality at that time. Does that ring true? If your desires to be with a man have increased over time, I think you need to realize that this isn't going to go away, it's only going to get stronger. The next logical step that many men go to is to cheat on your wife by having sex with men outside your marriage. This is a monumentally bad idea, and will only compound your problems.

2. If you believe that the ONLY reason for coming out is for authenticity's sake, and you do not intend to act upon your desires for men, then I agree with your friend that it will serve no purpose to come out at this time. However, as I said before, I don't think your desires will go away, so be careful about making another decision here that will affect even more years of both of your lives.

3. You can come out. You will not be destroying your family. You, your wife, and your children will always be a family, whether you are married or not, whether you live with them full time or not. You will always be your children's father. You coming out doesn't change any of that. Sure, it would change your life, but that doesn't mean bad, it just means different.

4. You need to forgive yourself for making the choice to hide that part of your sexuality. You did what you thought you needed to do. Many of us did just that, and we thought at the time that we were making the only choice we could make at the time.

5. It sounds like maybe the perfect scenario for you is an open marriage that allows you to stay with your wife in marriage but also meet your needs with men as well. It is possible, and some have managed to make it happen. But it often doesn't happen because it requires your wife to be extremely accepting of the idea - and I think most women would have a hard time with it. There are many people here on EC who have made it work, so I would suggest reaching out to them for their ideas. In thinking about this scenario, however, I wouldn't get your hopes up for it, but it is possible.

This is a tough road that you're traveling. Keep talking to us here.

To heythere999 - this really shouldn't "personally" offend you. You have a right to your opinions, and the right to speak (write) them here, but I don't understand your use of the word "personally," as if you actually know Keith and his situation. Why is this personal to you? I've asked you before in other threads why this is so personal to you? Is it just your uncle or is there something else going on? You have made your disgust quite clear on married gay people and how it offends you that we made the choices long ago to get married despite being gay or bi. Your lack of understanding and compassion offends me. But not personally, because I don't know you.

5. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Heythere999- Keep in mind that people come to this forum for help and advice, not to be judged or condemned. Youshould remember that people come from all walks of life, and that they may not have had the option to "just be gay", especially depending on what kind of environment they grew up in. No offense intended of course, but I think that you're being unnecessarily harsh.

So to the OP, it's really up to you. You have to weigh it out- what's more important- ensuring that your wife doesn't react badly, or telling her? And I mean, you know her best. How do you think she would react?

6. Keith83

Thanks so much to all of you for your advice. You've given me lots to think about. The whole reason I posted was to get different perspectives and you all said different things that have made me stop & think. Heythere999 - I'm sorry if I offended you. Understanding my sexuality has been complicated. I didn't enter into my marriage deliberately deceiving my wife. I love her completely, I have always been faithful to her and I hope I always will. Yes your right that I should have told her but when we got married I was in a place where I thought I'd just had a guy phase and was now back to being straight. I was very young and really didn't understand myself. We already had a baby before we were married and I was in love and it didn't feel wrong at the time. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you don't exactly think I'm bi? I'm 50/50, I thought that's what being bi is - I did have one relationship with a guy prior to my marriage. I get urges to be with guys. If I was with a guy I think I would probably get urges to be with girls. Without getting into the bi part too much I'm pretty content that that's what I am and it has taken a long time to accept that to myself. Coming out to my friend recently has just made everything real or something. When nobody knows it's all in your head but when u start talking out loud about things, discussing things - it just becomes more real and less upsetting to be honest. It is something I get very depressed about. Everyone seems to think that if I don't want to cheat on my wife (or have an open marriage - never gonna happen - would be the ideal scenario but I couldn't ask my wife for that and there's no way she'd agree anyway) but if I'm gonna stay with my wife exclusively then people seem to think - why bother coming out. It serves no purpose. I suppose being honest maybe it is purely selfish. Maybe I just want to be me. Maybe I just want people to understand who I am. I'm not a straight guy - even tho I'm in a straight relationship. I'm me and I'm bi and sexuality is a big part of who we all are. I don't want to live my life with mine in a closet but I don't want to gamble my family either. My wife might be fine with it - but I think the bit that would be the problem is I've kept it from her for so long. As my friend says it would destroy her and things would never be the same again. And I don't want that. And I don't want to be in the closet. And to be perfectly honest I don't want to be bi but I am so that's just something I have to try find a way of dealing with that doesn't have me crying about it sometimes because it all upsets me so much and I don't know what to do. Sorry for the massive rambling - and thanks again guys for taking the time to write such detailed replies. It's touching that people care enough to make time for a complete stranger.

7. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand the appeal to be authentic. For me, coming out was primarily about refusing to hide myself any longer. However, I'm not bi, and I had to face my reality that I was a gay guy married to a straight woman, and despite the enormous challenges in coming out, I simply could not continue living this way any longer. Of course, that's not your story. You still desire your wife and want to stay married.

You say that an open marriage is "never gonna happen," and I believe you, since you obviously know you and your wife and I don't. But if you truly believe that suggesting an open marriage to her is a non-starter, why do you think coming out as bi would be any different? Is there a possibility in your mind that she would reject the idea of an open marriage but be ok with you being bi? And, of course, she's going to wonder why you are telling her this. Even if you say that it's just to be authentic, I would suggest to you that she will suspect other motives of you.

You should consider that just because you know that you will stay faithful and only came out to her as bi in order to be the "real you" and be authentic, she may not believe you and may suspect you've cheated with guys (hard to prove you didn't, she would have to trust you on that one). And trust will then be the big issue between you. She will know already that you "lied" to her by not telling her you're bi, and she will then have trust issues with you. If you're going out for a "guy's" night, she will suspect that you're actually heading out to hookup with a guy. Anytime you're late, she's going to suspect you've been with a guy. If you take any trip out of town without her, she's going to suspect that you're planning to cheat.

As good as your motives are, you need to also think about this from her perspective. Why is he telling me this? Has he been cheating? He said no, but now I don't know what to believe? Can I ever trust him again? Does he want to leave me for another man but just can't admit it yet? When's the second shoe going to drop? How long before he decides he NEEDS to be sexual with a man?

I don't even know your wife and I can imagine these and many more questions that she will ask herself.

I just don't know that authenticity is enough of a prize if your marriage suffers to get it. And that's saying something because I'm usually an advocate here on EC for people to come out and be real with those they love. In your case, I would think on this very carefully.

8. Keith83

Hey Imgay47
    What you're saying makes a lot of sense. It's true that I don't know if my wife would accept me as bi. And you're saying something that my friend said to me already - she said the same thing that if I tell my wife she's going to assume I do want to do something with a guy - why else would I be telling her. Authentic though - that's exactly the word I've been looking for. It's just about wanting to be true to myself but deep down I think maybe I know coming out would be a bad idea. I'd be terrified of what would happen. Just the prospect of going on like this for my whole life feels devastating. Feels like I'm living a lie. But losing my family would obviously be worse. I'm not saying that would happen I don't know but it'd be a he'll of a gamble that I don't think is worth taking. All a complete mess really. Plus it's been great having come out to my friend. She's been amazing about it and so supportive. She thinks the same as you that coming out just isn't worth the risk. And there's other friends I know I could tell. Lots of them but then I'd worry if my wife ever did find out which would obviously be more likely if I told lots of people - then if she found out that lots of my friends knew and she didn't she'd feel like a fool because everyone knew except her if you know what I mean? That's why I've just told one person. But telling her as much as I felt sick actually telling her - once it was done it was the best thing ever. Looks like this is one closet that isn't gonna be empty anytime soon :-(