1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend has a crush on me (or at least I think so)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chocolate Cake, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Chocolate Cake

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I asked another friend and he thinks so too. She can sometimes be quite obvious - being extremely touchy-feely with me and no one else for example - and recently I made it sort of clear that I wasn't interested in ANY romantic relationship right now. But I'm wondering if that got through, i'm so used to her behaviour that it has become normal, and sometimes she doesn't act like that.

She might just be over-attached because she has had a lot of trouble getting friends in the past due to having a family history of autism. She thinks that she's on the spectrum, although I don't want to pry. She's going through a lot regarding her brother right now, who's disability means he is entirely dependent on her mother and may become violent. Because of how she acts sometimes, she struggles in some social interactions and can come across as either hyperactive or extremely grumpy depending on what mood she's in, and that can result in somewhat strained social relations - although she's become a lot better at it with experience.

Now you know her situation, so can you see why I might be a little afraid to broach the subject? She's not a delicate flower that has to be protected at all costs - she can handle herself just as well as anyone else can. But she also has SERIOUS self-esteem issues, so rejection might shock her into a spiral and prove her (mistakenly) low view of her own self-worth. Plus, when irritated, she can be extremely difficult to talk to and will descend into an angry sulk (although she usually bounces back soon enough). Also I'm the person she spends the most time around, AND we're still in school, so we sit close together in two subjects and end up eating together every lunch and break. So I don't want to make things weird between us!

What do I do?! Sometimes I feel stifled by her constant attachment but I will feel guilty if I try to push her away. I'm still working out my own sexuality in my head and its getting difficult to deal with.