1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage and death.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ilovebears, Oct 2, 2016.

1. ilovebears

I met a boy two months ago, and we quickly fell in love. On the first day we met, he told me he has a fatal illness, and won't be alive much longer. He proposed to me a fortnight ago, because he wants me to benefit from his death, and I told him I'd think about it. He says it'd be easier than rewriting his will.

I normally would never consider marrying before the 3-year mark of a relationship... but we're on an accelerated timeline here. This is so bizarre to me, but then again, I have never been so compatible with a human on so many levels.

What would you do? Any advice or experience?

FYI: We live in Oregon, USA. I'm unemployed (just graduated with an MFA) and he's on disability. We live separately, and undecided on the possibility of moving in together.

Thanks!

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    IMO, you could still have a successful relationship, even if it is cut short, without marrying. I would suggest talking to a marriage attorney about the legal implications (apparently there is no benefit if the marriage lasted less than 9 months, and you might need to check about possible debts). Ultimately, if you don't feel comfortable, don't do it.