1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In love with my best friend(yeah i know what you're thinking:not this cliché again)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DenDen, Oct 3, 2016.

1. DenDen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello people of this awesome community.Firstly,let me introduce myself. I'm a bisexual guy,living the college life with all its wonders.
    My story began last year in october when I first started college. I was scared that i wouldn't fit in or that i wouldn't make any friends at all. One of roommates helped me with that,and I am very grateful.He also introduced me to a guy from his uni group(I'm in a different one). Well now,when I first saw that guy(let's call him Alex,which is also my second name) my heart skipped a beat. After formally introducing each other,we
    started to hang out a lot and eventually became good friends(along with my roommate Cr. and a girl R ). At the beginning Alex and i discovered we have a lot in common and got along really well. Some nights we used to stay on the balcony and watch youtube videos along with Cr and R,and I noticed he was resting his head on my shoulder (he did that a lot and Cr and R looked at us amused).
    After that two months passed very quickly and I noticed Alex and R start to hang out without me and Cr. on several occasions. I kinda knew what was coming...
    Eventually they got into a relationship. Me and Cr. didnt hang out so much with them. I felt like i was going crazy without seeing Alex at least once a week. So i started reaching out to them and I started to hang out more. Everyone at uni though i was in love with her not him(joke's on them). A few months passed like that,me walking with them on the streets.I was looking at him daydreaming and lost in thoughts...After a while she moved from the uni dormitory so they met rarely.And thats when me and Alex started to hang out a lot without her.I have to say I was in cloud nine. That happened in february or march,if I recall correctly.
    In the months that followed i have to say i was kind of drugged(not literally,dont worry guys and girls)but here are the most important memories i have with him: surprising me when i come from classes by jumping on my back(he used to do that a lot),air kisses at most random times and even in public,saying that he would love to move in with me in the future,cheering me up everytime when i didnt wanna hang out,sending cute and funny random texts almost every day(my day/night would get 100% better)...In other words we became best friends and everyone thought we were together(or just freaking weird),he didnt mind that at all btw,we make gay jokes almost everytime. Mostly thats how months passed until summer exam session,when Alex told me that he broke up with his girlfriend(R.).I began comforting him by saying that she didnt deserve him anyway,that he's too good for her.He seemed kinda upset (he left her because she wanted him to come with her to Italy and drop from college),but not sad at all.I felt kinda guilty but for the first time in those months i was happy and relieved.A stone was taken of my chest. After exams we were together non-stop,going out, laughing and having fun,drinking a bit(not too much,because i was worried i would confess to him)That was the best time of my life...During that time Cr.(roomie) said that R told him i ruined her relationship with Alex,and that she believes Alex is in love with me.I remained puzzled and i didnt say anything,Cr. believes it's true. I say she's a freakin liar and end the conversation.
    The time comes and we all have to leave for summer vacation. I go to the train station with Alex to help him with the luggage and say goodbye and wish him all the best. I was very close to burst into tears as the train left..He might have noticed that and messages me a few minutes later saying :stay safe and dont do butt stuff. That kinda cheered me up a bit.
    This summer was long and i felt really lonely without Alex.We texted weekly since we both had to work and stuff,so i held on to that...
    At long last autumn came,and at the end of September i started the second year of college. Me and Alex were supposed to stay with two other guys in the same room but things didnt work out as we planned. We both arrived on the same day,and went to the room where he stayed last year of college. We talked a lot and when we went to sleep i said i was feeling chilly.He invited me into his bed saying that his blanket is warmer. I tought he wasn't talking seriously so i refused. We both couldnt sleep so i went to his bed to show him some memes(we're both into 9gag and that kind of stuff). I made myself comfortable and he covered me with his blanket.I didnt say anything and just went with it.We started talking about relationship and stuff and i told him no one would ever want me.he said he would totally do me,so I shouldnt worry about finding someone. He sounded dead serious...Eventually we fell asleep like that,in the same bed.In the middle of the night i woke up and his head was resting on my chest,and his body was next to mine,really close(my face must have been red af).I didnt do anything,just covered the both of us with the blanket. Obviously,i couldnt fall asleep and when morning came i turned around and so did he after a while,i noticed he was spooning me xD. the next day he told me that it was kinda weird but he didnt seem upset,he seemed kinda amused and relaxed at the same time. I told him a bout the spooning and stuff and he seemed kinda embarrassed,but we had a good laugh.We are very comfortable around each other,so i guess that didnt bothered him at all. So,this happened 3 days ago... Due do unfortunate circumstances i had to move from that room,him and his roomies being at one department and me being in a different one.
    The problem is,altought if he really wanted to,he could move into my current room since there's a free spot..I messaged him that earlier today ,and he told me that his roomates and him want me to live there and they are trying to work something out..I responded very shortly saying that it's never gonna work . After that he invited me to a drink,just the two of us. Even though i was still mad at him i accepted.When we got there we started talking about college stuff. Then he finally asked me what was wrong. I told him about the room stuff(he kept saying that it's gonna be alright).But the thing is that I realised it would kill me to see him everyday knowing that i have a huge crush on him. So i told him to stop trying to move me into his room and he got angry and asked me why. NOW this is where the shit begins
    On the way back to the dormitory,I told him everything,about his ex(what she tought about us) and even the fact that I am bisexual and I have a crush on him.I expected him to punch me and yell at me and stuff like that.
    Instead he takes it better than i tought saying that im his bestfriend and that doesnt change anything. On the road i began saying some paranoid stuff(about him never talking to me and stuff like that)and he kept comforting me saying that it's fine and he totally understands me. We went to his floor and before leaving i hugged him and told him that i love him,he hugged me back and said, smiling :love you too *wink*.

And thats how this day went.I really have no idea what to do anymore...

#1 DenDen, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: In love with my best friend(yeah i know what you're thinking:not this cliché agai

Hey DenDen,

It sounds like things are progressing very positively for you to have a bf. What are your concerns here?

3. DenDen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Re: In love with my best friend(yeah i know what you're thinking:not this cliché agai

Hello Quantum

Well,before we arived at the dormitory(durings the intense discussion)he appologized to me and said he's not gay.
    also,he feels kind of flattered.
    Anyway,im afraid i screwed up and ruined the best friendship I've ever had with someone...

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

O.K. You didn't mention the part where he said he isn't gay - although his behavior would indicate that he is at least bi.

But everything you've written says he took it well. Why would you have ruined your friendship?

5. DenDen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Because I know that after I told him the truth nothing is going to be the same ever again.(why couldn't I just just up :bang: )I keep putting myself in his shoes and trying to figure out what would I do,but I have no clue.
    And now I kind of doubt he might be bi or have any romantic feelings towards me.

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hey DenDen,

You clearly had/have a crush on him. Now you’re out to him, you let him know about your crush, and he was totally cool about it. So why can’t you be best friends now? He’ll be the one person you can continue to be totally open with – you just can’t have him as a bf. But a best friend isn’t a bad tradeoff, if he’s really straight. Has he given you any reason to believe that his supportive reaction wasn't real?

From what you have written the only one having issues about telling him what you told him is YOU.

You're probably regretting having that conversation with him because he ended up not returning your romantic feelings. But you have to let it go. You did the right thing. Sooner or later you would have to have had this conversation with him because your emotions would have run wild until you knew one way or the other if he returned the feelings you were having for him. You probably saved yourself months of emotional anguish by talking to him like that.

When you get past the remorse/embarrassment you feel right now, I don’t see why you won’t find this to be a positive experience. There’s nothing that you described about his reaction that would indicate he won’t continue to be there for you and support you.

I don't know if this helps you...

#6 Quantumreality, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  7. heythere999

I didn't read anything that reaaaallly indicated that he's gay aside from him saying that he'd "totally do you," but that instance is not enough to judge or tell. Along with perhaps other peoples' comments.

8. DenDen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Yep ,I still have a crush on him .That's been going on for a year already.
    And no,he hasn't given me any reason to believe that his supportive reaction wasnt real.But the thing is,people can lie/change as the time passes.

And yes,I kinda have some issues regarding the fact that I told him the truth.
    It would have been better if he just punched me and never talked to me again.
    The fact that he still wants to talk to me and stay best friends is NOT going to help me move on.It only makes me thinking about him and loving him more and more everyday.
    I dont feel any embarrassment right now,maybe just remorse.And yes,maybe I am dissapointed that he doesnt return my feelings(same as would anyone be in my situation)...

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I truly understand, DenDen, and I wasn't trying to make light of your strong feelings for Alex, so I hope I didn't come off sounding like I was. The more you write about how you are feeling and viewing this situation, the better I can understand. And, yes, absolutely, anyone in your situation would be feeling overwhelmingly disappointed right now.

I'm just trying to help you understand the larger context of your situation from an objective point of view - because you are currently in the middle of the situation and completely emotionally involved with it. I think you understand that this situation would have had to have been resolved at some point because of your feelings for Alex. And the fact that it happened sooner rather than later has probably saved you some long-term emotional distress from that standpoint.

I don’t know if this will help ease your mind at all, but I doubt there are many people on this site who haven’t had a serious crush on a straight same-sex person; a person who was incapable of returning their romantic feelings. So, you aren't alone.

Having said that, what do you think you want to do from here? Since you said that just being friends with Alex isn't going to help you move on. And he clearly didn't reject you as a friend, just as a romantic interest, the next move is clearly up to you.

#9 Quantumreality, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  10. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Hi DenDen,

I'm sorry to hear that Alex didn't reciprocate your romantic feelings. It's very difficult dealing with that emotionally, particularly when you have such a close friendship.

What Quantumreality has said is sound advice - you still have a great friend who you know you can trust and who will support you. And you would have had this conversation at some point so try not to be upset at the way its happened.

I had an on/off things going with a guy at uni and when I told him I loved him he was just silent - it made me realise that we were going nowhere and it really depressed me. Now you aren't in such a bad situation - at least Alex has not been leading you on - and once he knew how you felt he was clear about where he stands. However, you have a close friendship so understand that getting over this is going to be tricky for you - but it is not impossible. For the short term, when you aren't with him, keep you mind occupied with something - binge watch tv, do work, go to the gym or something but make sure you are doing something other than sitting there thinking of him. This is probably the best thing for you right now - it will help you think about whats happened/happening without it overwhelming you.

You might also consider ranting on this thread or start keeping a journal of your feelings, writing down your feelings is a good way to come to terms with things and release the pressure. Just don't let it build up inside you like poison.

I don't think you have or will ruin your friendship - if you are concerned then you may want to think about explaining to him how you are feeling. Something like 'I just need some time to deal with how I feel about you, so if I seem a bit off please don't take it personally'. This might not be a good idea right now but maybe once you have had a week or two to start accepting things you might want to say something or if he asks how you are doing then you could explain a bit.

Again, I'm sorry that he didn't respond in the way you want but you have a great friend and, while it seems like the end right now, it really isn't. You will come to accept this and you will feel better in due course. Just try and keep yourself busy and go easy on yourself. Keep posting if it helps.

11. DenDen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I agree that sooner or later the situation would have ended the same way,and it kinda helped me get a lot of my chest.
    I think I'll just continue to meet with him normally if he wants to/has time( he has moved to a different study department-not in the same one as he was last year),because he's kinda busy lately. Knowing myself,it will probably take some time until my feelings towards him cool off. I dont want to avoid him completely,because I really dont know if i would be able to do that,+he specifically told me not to even try that shit,otherwise he's gonna break my door xD.

---------- Post added 4th Oct 2016 at 08:04 PM ----------

Thank you for the advice,.Keeping myself occupied is exactly what I'm trying to do when I'm not with him.I mostly hang out with ppl from my class or from my dormitory. Sometimes I kind of space out,and feel like I'm gonna burst into tears,but then I concentrate and I'm trying to be as talkative as I can with everyone.I've never been into a situation like this before.

Ranting on this thread and keeping a journal both seem like great ideas. I'll try to keep this thread updated if anything significant happens.

I am kind of concerned because i zone out even when he's talking to me,it's like we're not having the fun we used to,not much laughing either...So I think I might tell him what you suggested me to.

And you're right.I have a great friend and I'm grateful that he's a part of my life.

Once again,thank you Quantumreality and Barbatus for helping me out with this (*hug*)

12. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

DenDen,

I'm so glad you are getting a handle on this! A first big crush disappointment is usually the worst. But, you WILL get through this and come out stronger on the other side.

Your friend is really great if he even threatened to break down your door if you avoid him. LOL! But like Barbatus said and like you mentioned that you are thinking of doing, you'll probably have to explain to him how you are feeling because while he's not going away as your friend, he also probably can't really understand how your romantic feelings for him are still messing with you.

Posting updates here can be therapeutic for you and we will follow whatever you care to share with interest.

I wish you only the best!

Take Care. Stay strong and proud!:slight_smile:

#12 Quantumreality, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  13. Lora

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

I'm really glad I come across your thread. You've got great advice here from Quantumreality and Barbatus. We're a little bit in the same boat. I also "zoned out" myself currently. And she has noticed that I was avoiding her. It pisses her off and sad about it. I just said that I had to back off a bit but didn't explain anything.

14. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Hi DenDen,

You sound like you've got a handle on this and I'm glad you are keeping busy. The zoning out is nothing to worry about - you are trying to process some strong emotions and its a bit like switching off when you mind overheats (I hope you get what I'm saying).

Keep up what you are doing and keep posting or start that journal so you don't let things build up. I think you are doing a great job in a difficult situation. :slight_smile:

15. whimsy99

Hey DenDen,

Just wanted to say I completely sympathize, and I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I know how you feel; I currently have very strong feelings for one of my best friends and she does not reciprocate. It just hurts. Just give yourself permission to be sad about this; your heartbreak is completely real. Feel free to message me if you'd like to talk about dealing with these situations!! Best of luck. :slight_smile:

16. DenDen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Oops,I missed this reply yesterday.
    Well,there were plenty of situations that made me think he was at least bisexual or really deep in the closet. I was talking and joking with a girl about yaoi and he said he read some yaoi manga by 'mistake' and that it was an accident. We looked at him puzzled and wondered how is it possible to even read a whole manga by 'accident' . Or there were plenty of times when I mentioned to friends that I want to move from dormitory with someone,and he would immediately say: 'me right?i would love to move in with you' or ' of course he is talking about me haha '. Or sometimes we would talk about living together for hours,the whole time i was probably smiling like an idiot(oh god how I miss those days).

---------- Post added 5th Oct 2016 at 07:09 PM ----------

Yeah,I believe it's gonna take some time until I get to have that 'feelings talk' with him.He's really busy with uni lately :/ I'll try to keep you guys updated anyway.
    Thanks for your advice once again,take care too :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 5th Oct 2016 at 07:13 PM ----------

I'm sorry to hear that.I hope things are going better for you .It's not a good thing to back off,never. Communication is important in solving any problem between two human beings.

---------- Post added 5th Oct 2016 at 07:20 PM ----------

I totally get what you're saying. It's a miracle I haven't gone insane by now.

I'm gonna keep posting. And thanks a lot (*hug*)

#16 DenDen, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  17. DenDen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I'm sorry to hear that.I totally get how that feels..
    The thing is,if I keep being sad I'll totally lost it. I'm gonna isolate myself from everyone and start having dark thoughts...I have to do something to distract me,altough I have to say I haven't slept very well ever since that happened and I'm tired all the time.
    Thanks for your opinion though.All the best (*hug*)

18. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Hi DenDen,

Sorry to hear you aren't sleeping well. Unfortunately it is part and parcel of the what you are going through. I'm sorry to say that is just something you have to work through - keep being busy and try not to stress out, eventually you'll start to feel better. Make sure you don't isolate yourself - as you say you'll just end up going in circles.

Could you try and spend time with some other friends, so not ignore Alex but just take up opportunities to spend time with other people. It might just help you focus on your other relationships (by which I mean friendships) and might help you not feel lonely. As for the sleeping I think you will just have work through it - but don't over worry about it. It's a normal part of this kind of process. Hope you are doing ok. :slight_smile:

19. DenDen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Hello again,I've been away a few days(excursion with university) so I've been keeping myself busy,but also I had plenty of time to think about myself and about what I should do next.Didn't really found a solution but I often choose to 'go with the flow' ,things always have a tendency to wrap up.
    When I came back from the short trip I was kinda nervous that Alex didn't even message me...Turned out he wasn't feeling very well and I immediately started to feel like crap because I didn't even reach out to him...A few days ago he invited me out for a drink,just the two of us,how we used to do before my confession. Everything went smooth and we really had a good time. I apologised to him that I didn't even ask him how he was and that I sucked as a friend. He said: Don't worry,you wouldn't be here if you were like that. That kinda warmed my heart and I wanted to say: That's the reason I like you so much. But I didn't wanna come across as too desperate/clingy...
    Today he wanted to meet up in my room but I was away all day. I really wish I wasn't :bang:
    Overall I still really have no clue how to get over anything(not sure if I want to either).

20. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Hi DenDen,

Great to hear from you. Glad you had a few good days away on your university trip. It's also good that you spent time with Alex and had a good time. That urge to bring up why you like him is something you sound like you have a handle on - as I see it the main reason for not bringing it up is so that Alex doesn't feel like he is making you feel bad. You are doing a good job of keeping things on your friendship.

Your feelings for him will change as you accept things - it sounds like you two will always be great friends and he is someone you know you can confide in which is a massive bonus. So try and think about that.

Having said that you sound like you are doing well and have been keeping busy. Hope you are sleeping better as well. :slight_smile: