1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I help my trans (FtM) friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Connorcode, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

On the course I am on at the moment, one of the guys also on it is a trans boy. He's a few years younger than me, lovely but shy and insecure.

He messaged me tonight and we got talking. I asked how he felt and he said he felt worthless and suicidal. I've said that he can always talk to me, but I don't know what else to do to help him.

I know some of his friends don't understand being trans very much - I've heard some insensitive things because they didn't know what gender dysphoria was.

Help much appreciated. I want to help this great guy any way I can.

2. RainRose

I don't have first hand experience with this one, but I think what you're doing is right, standing by him.
    If his friends are some of your friends as well, maybe educating them a bit would be helpful?
    If he's feeling like that a lot, gently suggesting that he get help isn't a bad option either.
    I wish you luck.

3. Linkmaste

First of all, if he has serious suicidal thoughts then you need to encourage him to seek help and talk to either a councilor, or a therapist or even a hotline. Him talking to you is great but that puts a giant amount of pressure on you and being only nineteen that's a huge burden. Not to say you're doing a bad job, I think it's great he trusts you:slight_smile:

Educate, educate, educate, and educate. A lot of people make fun or say ignorant things because they don't know better. Encourage your friend to tell the others about transgender issues and gender dysphoria.

Being though he's probably 15-17, some of his friends will be a little immature and that sucks but that's life. Is there a special out reach group he can go to? Is there a safe place at school like a Gay Straight Alliance? Are the school councillors LGBTQ friendly?

How about the parents, do they know about this? Is he safe to come out?

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with what you say, but I would not put pressure on him to educate his friends in his state. Instead, if you know them, offer him to tell for him. He can even tell you what you need to say. I know that I wouldn't really feel like educating people if I was in his position. That's something you should do with a clear mind.