1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experimented with my Bestfriend both Male

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Joeysfriend15, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Joeysfriend15

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm scared that my friendship with my bestfriend will fall apart after what happened. Up to this point he did not know that I'm gay, and I have no reason to think that he is anything other than straight.
    Me and my bestfriend(bf) decided to go to homecoming as friends so we wouldn't have to stress about finding a date. So hoco went great but as the night was ending he suggested that I should stay the night at his place(we usually spend the night at one another's houses). So I went home with him and we just talked about stuff then we went to sleep in his bed. Later in the night I shifted in my sleep so that my leg ended up on his crotch. I remember waking up and feeling something throbbing(I think he might have been humping my leg). I started to panic, so I moved my leg away. But then he rolled over onto my leg and kept humping it, so I figured he wanted to mess around. So I started rubbing my leg against his boner. We both pretended like we were sleeping. This continued for hours. At times he would roll over and press his butt onto my boner and this would keep going on until like dawn. I stopped using my leg and just used my hand to stroke his boner(through his sweatpants). He was moaning quietly and bucking his hips into my hand. So I assumed he was enjoying this so I kept doing it. He seemed to be getting close so he pulled my hand away(I guess to not get his breifs/sweatpants dirty). Then after that he pressed his butt into my boner and I wrapped my arm around him and we got some sleep. When I woke up he wasn't there, I asked his dad and he said he went with his mom and sisters somewhere. So since he wasn't there I decided to go home. After I saw that he left I started panicking that he left because he was weirded out by what happened. So I started crying because I thought I lost him as a friend. I went home and took a nap(2hours), and when I woke up I saw a message from him:
    him "Do you have anything to tell me"
    me "Are we still friends?"
    him " Yeah I guess, its just that you really weirded me out"
    me "Im really sorry that was stupid of me"
    him " Its okay, just don't touch me like that or do anything like that again. Nothing has changed its just that I refuse to do that"
    me "I've been going crazy about that, I feel like a really shitty friend"
    him "Please tell me if you're gay or straight because its really killing me"
    me "I want to be honest with you, but I don't know what I am" (I lied because I panicked and was afraid he would hate me)
    him "Okay but please be honest with your self and go the way god intended, because I don't think I can handle having a gay friend" (that basically broke my heart)
    me " Can you please no tell anyone about this"
    him " I wouldn't do that to anyone"
    me " what do you mean you can't take having a gay best friend?"
    him " I just want to be normal with normal friends" (also broke my heart)
    So we stopped texting about what happened until the next day
    I asked him If everything would be the same as before
    him "i don't know"
    me "wdym"
    him " I just keep on thinking about it"
    me "yeah me too"
    him "I just can't talk about it"
    me" I'm really sorry, But I really don't want to lose you, you're like my only real friend (this is really true), Well if you ever want to talk about it with me you can"
    him "I know"
    me " I sould've never went to hoco"
    him "just stop with that crap, i don't want to think about it, i just can't. And stop saying sorry, you're still my friend, if not i wouldn't be texting you"

He wasn't at school monday or tuesday, I last saw him saturday night. he says he wasn't there because hes sick. He came over tonight for like 20 minutes to pick up makeup work but he was really awkward about it and things just didn't feel the same. I should see him at school tomorrow.

He's pretty religious and hes been taught that being gay is wrong. I think that he might've had feelings (which is why he seemed like he liked what happened hoco night) But because of what he has been taught hes been keeping his feelings locked away and thats probably why he doesn't want to talk about it at all. I'm also scared that our friendship will end because of this. I need some advice

2. whimsy99

Hey Joeysfriend15,

I'm probably not the best one to ask for advice, but I thought I might as well offer some support. Firstly, I'm sorry you're in such a stressful situation. I hope everything works out. I just wanted to say....look, I'm just a random person and can't know everything that's going on, but it just makes me wonder why you conversation with him immediately fell into you apologizing and him being accusing/acting like he wasn't participating. Because from what you're describing...HE was actually the initiator. Just my thoughts. I also wanted to say that I understand this person is your best friend, and that is a special bond, but a couple of his words are worrisome (he doesn't think he can handle having a gay best friend, calling straight people 'normal'). I would just like to suggest that you protect your heart and make sure you're not going to get emotionally hurt.

I wish I could give some advice on how to proceed, but I really don't know what to say. I just wish you the best of luck!

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Joeysfriend15,

That’s a really tough situation. Ultimately, your friend will have to come to terms with what happened. He has to do this on his own. You should be prepared to give him all the time and space he needs to do that.

The way you described how things went down, he both initiated the sexual contact and completely participated. You absolutely have nothing to be sorry about. And your friend seems to know that because he told you to stop saying you’re sorry.

I know this situation is worse for you because he is your best (and, as you said, only real friend). I have a lot of close friends, but when I came out to my best friend, I don’t know if I could have handled it if he had not accepted me. I would have been traumatized, at the least.

Since you indicated that your friend and his family are very religious, it sounds like he is in deep denial about whatever made him participate in that sexual activity with you. He may be gay, he may be bi, he may be straight (and was just experimenting, like many people do). But this is something that only he can come to terms with. You can only be there to support him. You almost certainly shouldn’t try to force him to talk about what happened – that might make him resentful of you; like you were trying to force him to admit that he has ‘unnatural’ sexual feelings for boys – or at least one boy: you.

If your friendship is over, it will be by his choice, but right now he’s left the door open. Just give him the space and time he needs. He may very well try to shut this incident out of his mind and pretend that everything is back to normal. If he does, you should just play along for now. In the longrun, he is going to have to deal with this aspect of his sexuality, but again, only he can do that.

I don’t know if any of this helps…

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well why the heck would he be reciprocating the touching is my question. I think he's dealing with some personal issues due to religion. You are not at fault here, rather, no one is. Don't apologize.

Let him know that you're here for him as a friend. If he cannot accept you as gay after what you guys did, then at that point he is dealing with his own issues of not being entirely straight. As you know, there is nothing wrong with being gay, or LGBT for that matter. Reiterate that to him, because all he needs right now is comfort about what happened between the both of you, and that's OK.

5. FTMANDGAY

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with the others, it sounds like he was into it, and may be confused about his own sexuality, and is not open to exploring the possibility. Hopefully I can follow that with a YET. But unfortunately so many young men never do open up and accept that they have these feelings.

I would say continue to be his 'normal' friend as he wishes. I wouldnt push him, or have any more sleepovers, no matter how innocent. just take it one day at a time, and give him time to process.

and of course if he comes to you, be there for him!

6. Joeysfriend15

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for your advice.

I think I apologized first was because I felt guilty for not stopping it, and he probably just went along with that. I wanted to talk about what happened between us so I can better understand it and give him support if he needs it, but he doesn't even want me to bring it up. I'm hoping I can get him to open up, or at least let him know that I'll be there for him and I support him. At first I thought that he liked what we did, but then he realized it was "wrong" (because of his beliefs) and completely shut it out. I really hope that we can work this out and still be friends. We both have the exact same schedule and classes in school (because we both wanted to spend more time with each other when we picked our classes). So if this doesn't work out school will be very difficult.I haven't seen him in like 4 days, I'm pretty sure I will see him tomorrow. I thought he was coming today so I was very anxious in my first class. I hope that I can get to him because I feel like he is struggling, and hurting as well, and I just want to be there for him.

7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear you, Joeysfriend15. But just be there for him. Give him time to figure out how HE wants to deal with this, then respect that. In other words, just try to keep things on the same 'normal' level that they were before until or unless he decides to open up to you. If you do otherwise, you will be at higher risk for causing him to push you away.

8. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree with the advice above, I know you're anxious about this and you want everything to be back to normal, but trying hard to make it normal can sometimes be counter productive. He obviously enjoyed it but is in denial about it, which means it is going to take a lot of time for him to process this. If he comes to you for help, you can be there for him, but sometimes people have to go through this on their own until they feel like they can reach out. Give him some space if he seems like he wants it, but otherwise talk to him normally. Don't bring this up again, as you've already told him clearly that you'd be there for him if he wants to talk. Expect him to be fine one moment and then cold the other, but hopefully he will come around soon. I'm sorry things had to change, but I think if you two were to be best friends, this had to come out sometime. If he really is your close friend, he will accept you for who you are as well, so don't regret what happened!

9. Joeysfriend15

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So today went better than I thought. It was the first time I saw him since what happened. In our first class he didn't look at me or acknowledged me until I finally built up the courage to ask him if I could work on the class work with him. He looked up and smiled and said yeah. After that the day went like any other day, we would laugh for no reason, It feels like I have my best friend back. I was a little confused though. I accidentally bumped his leg with mine while we were sitting next to each other. I said sorry and he jokingly said don't touch me like that again and giggled (like what he texted me after it happened).

10. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, I struggled with the word "NORMAL" for a long time. What is normal? Normal can mean many different things for different people. Being an older person, I have made many mistakes, and have regrets, but if he started it don't take the blame. Its not fair to you. It sounds like he is not comfortable with with himself. It can be a long journey to come to terms with being gay. I just admitted it to myself a couple of weeks ago, then I broke down because dealing with it seemed overwhelming. I would take things slow, but don't take the blame. GOOD LUCK BE STRONG!

11. Joeysfriend15

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Okay so things just got complicated... I was talking to a mutual friend who is bi and came out to my best friend. He told me that my best friend struggle with gay feelings for a long time, but he claims that god "fixed him". So right now I'm just really worried that he's suppressing his feelings and I don't think that is good for his wellbeing. Right now I'm just really worried about him and kind of hurt beceause he hasn't talked to me about this. Even though Ive made it clear to him that he can talk to me about anything and I will be nothing but supportive.

12. robclem21

Just because he can talk to you about anything, and knows that, doesn't necessarily mean that he will or has to. It can be really tough for people to talk about it, especially when they aren't willing to accept it themselves.

Part of saying you are there for him is knowing when to back off and not force him to talk about things. That's a surefire way to get him to distance himself, ruin your friendship, and potentially scare him from ever talking to you about it.

You offered your help, he knows that. Now you just need to be patient and let him come to you when he is ready.

13. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right, Joeysfriend15. That does complicate things. If he really is gay or bi, he's in deep denial. We both know that there is no 'fixing' his sexuality whether by God or anyone else.

On the plus, side, even though he showed non-heterosexual feelings towards you, he isn't pushing you away - just the opposite, in fact. So maybe he will open up to you in the longrun. But, as you said, you will just have to make it clear he can talk to you and be there for him. He is the only one who can decide how he wants to deal with his sexuality.

On the negative side, it is possible that he even will allow you to get romantically close to him again. The risk in this case is totally on you, since if you allow your feelings for him to continue to develop and he decides not to allow his to develop for you, you are potentially going to be hurt emotionally even worse than you already are.:icon_sad:

#13 Quantumreality, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  14. hptrek314

If you ever get a chance, talk to him about being gay and Christian, it's completely okay!!!! If he needs someone to talk to about it I am Christian and recentlyy accepted myself and i'd be happy to help!

15. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Joeysfriend15,

First, way to go! You may be feeling pressure because of the risk to your friendship, but you seem to be handling it really well. Please remember that you are awesome and you're doing just fine being who you are. You sound like a loyal and compassionate friend too.

To reiterate the previous excellent guidance, let this play out without trying to have him identify what happened or openly claim responsibility for his part. I also agree with the previous comments that he was at least willing and probably initiated it. From what your mutual friend indicated about his faith and struggle with gay feelings, it seems to clarify some fairly confusing signs he was giving you, and seems to indicate that he is struggling to accept himself within the context of his religious beliefs.

He is likely questioning both his faith and his sexuality, and neither of these are easy topics with black and white answers. We are so comfortable with labels and absolutes, but the reality is that many issues in life are shades of gray rather than black and white. I believe sexuality is one of these areas - a great number of guys are kind of bi, rather than totally straight or even totally gay! Figuring out your sexual identity within this spectrum can be a challenge.

In contrast, fundamentalist religions often teach a black and white world view. If your friend is in a more conservative, evangelical, or fundamentalist faith, he has likely been taught that absolute heterosexuality, absolute abstinence before marriage, and absolute monogamy after marriage are the only standard to aspire to. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but it's likely the perspective that he has. Can you imagine how hard it would be to reconcile his emerging gay feelings with his religious beliefs?

Reparative therapy to "make gays straight" has long been discredited by mainstream psychology, so his claim that he was "made straight" would purely be a statement of his belief and not supported by professional psychology or current science. That being said, he is the only person with the right to say what is going on with his body. He might label himself as straight despite an enormous amount of evidence otherwise. Still, he has the right to do so.

I am a believer, and I have gone through my own struggle to reconcile my faith with my sexuality. For me it meant becoming familiar with what my heart, mind, and body are telling me about God and how God created me as a beautiful, sexual being. I don't believe that God makes junk, and not a single person on this planet is junk. Your friend might be going through a similar process of introspection and self-acceptance, and it could take years to figure out.

You may want to think about what kind of relationship you want with him or would be satisfied with. Do you want a friendship? Are you hoping for a dating relationship? Do you like just experimenting sexually with him? As you think about what kind of relationship you want, consider whether he can give that to you. If he can't, then you may need to pull back some of your feelings to match his needs. I think you're already being really compassionate, so great job already.

It also occurs to me that he may not have come out to you because he is attracted to you. Sometimes we "protect" relationships we value by withholding information, or not allowing all of ourselves to be in that relationship. He may have withheld his feelings from you because he fears damaging the friendship, or hopeful relationship. You may not have a complete picture right now so wait for more information before forming expectations or making conclusions.

If the topic comes up naturally and he seems receptive, you might consider mentioning this site to him. We do discuss issues of sexuality and faith, and it is completely anonymous. All viewpoints are respected and welcome.

In closing, my advice boils down to:

- Continue to be a friend. Keep the friendship balanced so that you're each giving and taking equally.
    - Understand how his faith may influence him and try to see from his perspective.
    - Give him enough space to figure out who he is in the context of his faith. Don't try to persuade him or ask him to identify his orientation.
    - Determine what you want to get from the friendship (or dating relationship if you want one) and be honest whether he can give you want you want.
    - If he might benefit from joining this site, by all means please invite him!

You're already handling this so well - great job! You're responding with sensitivity and compassion, the only appropriate thing to do.

Patrick
    Seattle, WA

#15 Patrick7269, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  16. PotatoPotato

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't want to be unhelpfull but to me it seems like he is the really gay one and he has struggles with his religion, beliefs of what's right and wrong and how he really feels and what happens.

The advice from the person above you said is accurate.

Though one advice I am going to give you. What happened doesn't seem like a coincidence. There is a reason this happened even if he doesn't want to admit to you or himself. Don't go poke around in that but think for yourself, this isn't something anyone can give you as advice, you really have to think for yourself, You are what you are and a friendship won't last if you can't be who you are. This subject will at some point return as due to whatever the reason may be this happened he will come back on it due to his own feelings about it. (Woah, that's how most conversations are born).

Be prepared for what you want to say at that moment and if this friendship will head somewhere. I lived without friends for 10 years, it aint fun but it's better then having "friends" that don't trust or accept you for who and what you are from my own experience.

'Hope this helped, I am not the best one for advice but still.

</insert brohug>

17. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know it's hard now, but you got to let this guy go. He can't handle you as you are and, trust me, you need to be yourself in this world. It's really tough when you're younger and you feel like losing a best friend is like losing everything, but the wounds heal up and you do amazing things in life and better friends and people who really love you regardless of what you are.

You have my lesbian blessings, sweetheart. I hope you'll find true friends.

18. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You shouldn't feel bad about this. He led you on; it's his own fault if he can't deal with it.

Honestly, you can stay friends with him but he really isn't worth your time if that is his attitude.

19. CharacterStudy

You did nothing wrong, stop apologising to him. You seem to be handling this in a very mature way, I'm impressed.

It's always awkward (in m/f friendships too) when something sexual happens between friends.

Sounds to me like the poor guy is dealing with a lot of internal stuff. That phrase " I just want to be normal with normal friends" nearly made me cry. My guess is he was either already struggling with his orientation, or he is now. The fact that he's being (also incredibly, given age) mature about it and isn't pushing you away is a really good sign. But I'm afraid that your feelings for him might have to take a bit of a back seat. The guy just needs time and support now, to discover what he wants.

And for what it's worth, I don't think " I just want to be normal with normal friends" was necessarily a rejection of you/gay people, it's more about internalised homophobia. He sounds like he might accept all this in time, given how he's dealing with it.

20. Lora

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Like all of us here, I do think that he's supressing his feelings, his orientation because of religion and family. Respect that. Do not initiate to let him come out. Let him do that on his own.

Stop apologizing. I don't think that HE LED you to do things. In the middle of the night, something was on his crotch and he felt that he's getting hard. Both of you are teenagers with soaring hormones so what do I expect in this situation? Both of you allowed it to happen because if felt GOOD. Period. Nobody's to blame.

As for your friendship, make sure you do keep things in balanced. At least, he knows that you're questioning your orientation and you're not in denial. One thing to remind you: the sexual contact might happen again if you two have an opportunity to explore again. Like when you do sleepovers. Make sure that you two are aware and agree that nothing will happen if one of you are not happy about it. Do not do anything sexual with him if he behaves like douchebag.