1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over-protective friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by tay98, Oct 11, 2016.

1. tay98

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I really need some advice because i don't know what to do in this situation. My best fiend and i have always been really close but lately she's kinda been acting like she owns me. She's always complaining about another friend of mine and doesn't like it when i talk or spend time with her. It's like she wants me all to herself. She hangs out with other people and i don't care, but whenever i hang out with other people she gets really jealous.

Also, when i came out to her she was really annoyed that i told another friend first. And ever since then she's always complaining whenever i tell someone something before i tell her. (the other day i bought a dress and she was mad that she found out through my snapchat story. like wtf)

We also don't really talk much anymore. We hang out but it's like she doesn't want to talk to me anymore. I feel like coming out to her was a mistake because that's when the problems started. She said she's fine with my sexuality but ever since i came out we've become more distant. Yet she's still over protective.

I don't understand her. I don't want to stop being her friend because we've been friends for 6 years now and we had a great relationship up until a few months ago.

What's your advice???

2. RainRose

Okay, so I'm a bit of an overprotective friend, I fiercely care about those I love. But this is going a bit too far in my opinion. I would try to set some boundaries with her, she should be able to respect them. You guys should also probably have a conversation about how you're both feeling about all this. It kind of sounds like there are things on both ends that need to be hashed out.
    I wish you the best of luck and hope things work out.

3. robclem21

Sometimes people don't understand that coming out is a personal choice that takes a lot courage and thought. Often, who we choose to come out to doesn't reflect our closeness, or comfort with someone and there is no reason someone should feel offended at that. I can fully understand it from her perspective (she thinks you don't value your friendship with her as much because you told someone else something very personal instead of her), but she also may be having a hard time understanding why.

I remember when I came out I did not come out to my close friends first. I think the closer the friend, the more you have to lose if something goes wrong. However, they don't always see it that way. This may just be something that could be cleared up by a quick conversation, or maybe there is more under the surface here that is going on with her.

I think as the above poster said, a conversation is probably warranted. Seems stupid to throw away a 6 year friendship over something that could be a misunderstanding. She could be struggling with some things as well and is just lashing out at you. I agree its not acceptable though so don't let it continue, but don't write her off just yet in my opinion.