1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get his number?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RainbowGreen, Oct 11, 2016.

1. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I have an Italian class on Tuesday and I sit next to a cool guy.

I talk with him during the class and I've been learning about him little by little each week.

I know that he is single, that he has three mother tongues (French, English and Spanish), that he speaks four languages (Catalan being the fourth one) and that he studies Computer Science (Plus a few other things not really worth mentioning).

I kind of want to know him more, but the class rarely gives me the chance to talk to him. It's either we do exercises, play games or even listen to songs. The class also ends really late (8:00 PM), so when it's finished, we can't really say ''hey, let's hang out''. We also don't even walk the same way home, so that's a shame as well.

I already looked him up on Facebook, and if he has one, I can't tell it's him. So, I'm pretty much left with the old fashioned option: getting his number. I'd like to know how to ask him without seeming like a creep. My friend told me I could ask for it for ''homework/studying together'' or even use the old trick of ''I don't know many people here'' (which is true btw). I just don't know how to word it properly.

I'm not a very outgoing guy, so I'm already doing a lot by starting conversations with him, but I absolutely need to have a way to contact him so I can break the ice once and for all.

If you were in his position, how would you like to be addressed?

2. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it always seems more weird for the person who is asking for the number than the person who is asked for it.

You're nervous, and you fear that he is going to be creeped out, but that rarely happens. It's okay to say "Hey, I enjoy talking to you. We should hangout outside of class sometime", and from there people usually will exchange number.

If he doesn't offer his number when you ask to hangout, it's probably because he just didn't think about it. Just ask then "So, do you mind if I get your number so we can plan something then."
    99.9% of people will say yes, don't worry.

Best of luck! :slight_smile:

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks.

I get nervous because I usually just add them on Facebook, but since I can't find him, I have to resort to that, haha.

I guess I'm worrying for no reason.

4. faustian1

The way you describe him, I want him if he's not interested in you... :badgrin:

Seriously though, in your age group the usual thing would be to ask him if he's on Facebook. From what I can tell, people are adding others they saw from 1,000 metres (I'm practicing my Canadian spelling...) away for 5 milliseconds. So definitely, considering his interest in languages and what you're studying, there's plenty of reason for you to express this common interest.

Asking for a phone number....well, in my age group this would be just what we'd do. I think to do that you'd probably have to express some personal interest in him--and I get that you're shy around this.

One thing I can suggest is this: Most people like to talk about themselves, so you should make time to go ask him after class about how he ended up speaking so many languages, and ask some good open-ended questions about this. You'll learn more about him, and you'll probably get some more ideas about what you can suggest for outside activities.

So to sum up, ask him some questions at 8:00 p.m. If there's not time or if he's not able, ask if he'd be willing to meet up BEFORE class soon so you can learn more about his interesting background. I spent a lot of time sitting in university classes myself, and as shy as I am I could have done this myself--it's totally consistent with the learning process and so forth.

5. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I was planning on asking for his contact in a more open way, like : ''Is there any way I could contact you? Facebook? Skype? Even via texting?''

Also, don't worry about Canadian spelling. I don't use that crap, haha. Except in my courses because they count American spelling as mistakes.

Oh, I already know that, haha. It's one of the first questions I asked him. I was taken aback as to how he could speak French and English without an accent (my English is good, but I can't pass for a native speaker). To sum it up, his father is South-African (speaks English), his mother is a Quebecer (speaks French) and he was born/grew up in Spain, so he grew up as a trilingual child.

I ask him quite a lot of open questions when I can, but my problem is that I don't have much time to do so. The minute I start talking, we have to shut up because we have to listen to a song, do exercises or just listen to instructions.

There's another student who sits next to us who brought up this idea. He said that we should meetup before class to practice/study together. He seemed alright with the idea. I should bring it up again.

6. faustian1

:roflmao:

(I'm a dual citizen. Just think how schizo that makes my literary life....)

7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Poor you xD

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could invite him to do something interesting before class or on the weekend. Find what hobbies or activities you both would like.

9. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, little update.

I got his Skype today :wink: I just asked by the end of class and he gave it to me before having a little chat. Also, I was right. He doesn't have a Facebook.

I'll start talking to him a bit day by day to see how everything goes.