1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Input on my confusing friendship and what to do?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by onions, Oct 20, 2016.

1. onions

Okay so, I'll call him John to make it easy. Up until the beginning of this September, John and I were pretty much acquaintances. This year though we've developed a friendship and we actually have a lot in common. The past few months though, our friendship has grown and I've developed a huge crush on him. I've had a few long term relationships in the past, all being women, but I've never had my heart race the way it does when I think of him or see him. I have suspicion that John is either bi or gay, but I don't want to be that person to assume something like this over something so private. However, I really do have good reason, or so I think, to believe this.
    John has always been touchy, as in like poking and stuff, of which I return. He's a bit flamboyant, although I know that really isn't an indicator, considering I'm really not. There have been a countless number of times of which he's just said he was gay out of nowhere when we were talking, but he would always say just kidding or whatever immediately after. Him and I also look at each other for a few seconds at a time, sometimes in class or other places. During a test yesterday as well, we were making faces, but he turned and mouthed "I love you." I mouthed it back, as though I thought it were silly and funny, but I'm never sure if he's just got an interesting sense of humor or if he's hinting to me that he likes me. Later that day we were with friends and he just out of nowhere said he needed a boyfriend, and he's not exactly open as anything but straight. I probably seem oblivious, but the most confusing thing is, him and this girl have a thing. I feel like a jerk thinking this, but I feel like she's sort of a cover-up; something to protect him. She and him aren't dating and I've asked him if he was going to take her to Homecoming, but he seems hesitant. I think that the most they've ever done was hold hands and it's been a few weeks. His parent's are very strict and he identifies as christian. I feel like if anything, he's ashamed of his feelings, if they're there.
    When we hangout, it seems oddly close; as though there's some sort of tension. We've gotten ice cream together and we've sung and played uke together, but I really don't know how to feel or what to think.
    Sorry this is so long, but it's honestly been tearing me apart these past few weeks. If he doesn't like me back, I'm okay with just a friendship. If he does, then awesome!My friends all tell me that they think he likes me, but they're not sure either. I just really want to know how to feel... I appreciate any and all input. Thanks a ton! :icon_bigg

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, so in my opinion, this is not the behavior of a heterosexual guy. I think him saying these things to you is his way of testing your acceptance. He says "I'm gay" to see your reaction and then quickly covers it by saying "just joking." This is classic behavior of a gay or bi guy trying to figure you out. Therefore, yeah I think he's into you.

The fact that his parents are strict and he's Christian, I agree, would tend to indicate that he may have fear and shame for his sexuality.

You could tell him about your feelings and see if he opens up a bit, but don't be surprised if he doesn't. Assuming he is gay/bi, it could take him some time to figure himself out. I wouldn't recommend that you ask him or pressure him. If he knows you are an accepting person, though, it could help him to feel like he's not alone either.

3. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion he is interested but feels he can't be open about it. The things he is doing (in my opinion) are not typical of a straight guy. He seems to be indicating gay feelings but then giving himself an out by saying "just kidding".

I would either tell him how you feel, or ask him (in a serious conversation) other questions that might help you get an understanding. You might ask how he feels about gay marriage, or if he would be okay with a gay friend. If you feel comfortable enough, just tell him that you're attracted to him.

If he is gay he may not tell you. Based on your description of him, he could have a lot of fear or shame around the issue. If he seems to resist or isn't comfortable talking about it, don't push the issue or try to get him to identify one way or another.

Another thing I try to keep in mind is that sexual orientation isn't 100% gay or straight, it's often somewhere in between. If he is slightly bisexual he could be trying to sort that out as well, and this could take time. If you want a good conversation, you might ask him what he thinks.

Also, you might want to consider what you need and what a balanced friendship (or relationship) would look like. Consider whether he can give you what you need, and whether you can give him what he needs. A healthy friendship (or relationship) needs balance.

Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.

*warm hugs*

Patrick
    Seattle, WA

4. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to find out you can talk to him about it. Or you can show him more and more affection and see how he responds.

5. onions

Thanks you guys. The next time we hangout, I think I might let him know how I feel. I do think that we both have the qualities for both a balanced friendship and relationship. If he doesn't feel the same, I'm perfectly okay with that. I just hope me stating my feelings for him doesn't ruin our friendship, but I'm sure it won't. I'll be sure to update you all if anything happens. :slight_smile: