1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turmoil over electricity with a guy at work.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Patrick7269, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi All,

For about 6 months now I've been thinking of someone at work and having what I consider to be odd interactions with them. It started with a lot of eye contact, and then for me it developed into a crush. I don't know what to do.

I noticed him early on, and I put him in that "oh, there's an attractive guy at work" category. It became a pleasant moment in my day when we would pass each other in the corridors. We work on completely different teams so we don't interact, and thus, hadn't met. But I can't put into words how ordinary, and yet exquisitely beautiful, he is.

After a few weeks I noticed that any time we were in the same area we would look at each other. Once I was talking with other members of my team in the cafe area and he passed by - he looked at me and our eyes were locked the entire time, our heads turning. This kind of thing continued for some time - we would automatically find each others' eyes when we were in the same area. I also have noticed that his voice changes when I'm around, and that if we're both talking with other people he'll maneuver to be closer to me but not approach me directly.

After a while I found out his name, and I attempted to have a conversation via instant message. I botched this, because I messaged him while he was offline, and he responded while I was in a meeting. I said the conversation could wait, and I haven't contacted him again since. This was about 3 months ago.

Then at about that same time he apparently became uneasy. He began avoiding my eyes, and we even stopped - mid step - in our paths once so as not to come closer than 15 feet of each other! It was actually comical, except for what it indicated. Whereas others have "personal space" of a few feet, our personal space was much more. The hyper-awareness of each other had turned very awkward.

I was off work for a few days, and then by chance we took the same elevator with a few other people. When he realized I was there he became visibly upset, he was fidgeting, and he was looking all around the floor. I took out my phone to look at email so as to give him some space, and very quickly he got out his phone as well. At the end of the ride he nodded in my direction, eyes on the floor, to let me know he would wait for me to leave first.

A few weeks later we had the same elevator again, but this time we were alone. I would not let this be awkward, or at least not silently awkward. I asked him if he had a good weekend, and then I asked his name. He responded briefly but politely. He seemed a bit nervous as he spoke, and I suspect he's shy. It was a perfect small-talk conversation (that's all) but at least we knew each others' names at this point, and we had at least some outward ease.

After this he began to look in my eyes again whenever we met, but I could see that he was slightly startled seeing me. He once immediately looked away, then looked back, with a slight smile. The last two times we passed in the corridor, much to my sadness, he looked away again. The last time he very deliberately turned his head toward a blank wall - rather than look at me. He obviously was putting a great deal of distance between us.

He wears no ring, but from his online presence I think he's married with 2 kids, and 42 years old, one year younger than me. His Facebook profile doesn't list a relationship status.

I have so many questions. For you guys who are closeted and married, what might be going on with him? He is outwardly the most masculine guy there - he's always wearing football jerseys - but for some reason I really, really irritate him. Is he into me, or am I really just creeping him out? Does he seem conflicted? Would he rather I didn't exist at all?

When I see him I freeze up because a bolt of electricity goes through me. I think of him a lot and it breaks my heart that he's so beautiful. I feel as though I need to tell him that he's beautiful - I feel compelled to do this as surely as water flows downhill. I see a beautiful sunset, or a beautiful forest, and it makes me think of him. Of course a lot of things remind me of him, for better or worse.

If I've kicked a hornets' nest in his life, I could literally be the last person he wants to see. That is so hard for me to accept. He's just about kicked a hornets' nest in my life, and I consider myself pretty stable. I try to remember that if he's struggling, it's with self-acceptance or being in the closet, not that he's angry with me per se. Still, it's no comfort.

Am I seeing a closeted guy who can't stand what he's feeling, or have I simply pissed off a straight guy? Is there an alternate reason for the early eye contact, proximity, and sensitivity?

More broadly, how do you ignore your heart when it so strongly wants you to do the wrong thing? How do you move on and accept that this wonderful feeling is just not meant to find expression? How do you find this spark with someone else who's available? I haven't felt a spark like this in so long.

Should I end this by telling him how I feel? Is there any future at all in this, or am I simply deluded?

Sorry for the long post. If you haven't inferred it by now, this situation has brought me right back to junior high emotionally. My life as a 43 year-old man is perfectly fine and normal, despite this odd distraction. It's hard to describe how I feel, but anyone with a crush can relate, especially if the crush is closeted. I would love any insight, support, or advice you may have.

Thanks,

Patrick

#1 Patrick7269, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. faustian1

This all sounds like pure Seattle to me (I lived there for more than 50 years). I even did something similar to what you are doing at a local University, and was gravely disappointed as I fear you will be.

The signs don't look good. His body language does not convey comfort with you. Perhaps he finally picked up that your interest was more than incidental, and has not reacted well to it. From what you describe, I think you'll have to give him a bit of space.

As for Seattle, I had a hell of a difficult time making friends there. I moved about 300 miles away, and have had way better luck since. Anyway, best of luck to you. Trust that I know the pain of this kind of crush, and if it goes far enough it can take years to recover from.

#2 faustian1, Oct 24, 2016
  3. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks faustian1,

I've already modified my routine so that we don't see each other in the halls, and I don't smile or try to initiate anything if we do meet. It seems I'm giving him as much space as I can while still needing enough space to work there myself.

I do think that he's closeted, and that explains some of the earlier behavior. It would also explain the uneasiness later on. Whatever it is I think there's more going on than the standard kind of Seattle standoffishness.

I need to let this go and examine myself. There is some void in myself that I'm seeing reflected in him, and that's the difficulty I'm having. This needs to be a productive experience for me in some way. Any advice for letting it go? Any lessons learned from your experience?

Thanks,

Patrick

4. faustian1

Yes, thanks for asking.

As in your case, I still believe, all these years later, that my college crush was a closet case. However, I had much more belief in the powers of my perceptions then, than I found to be the case with actual experience later. So yes, questioning your assumptions and projections is a good starting point.

As I wrote before, I had a very, very serious time getting over the three-year period that this happened. I think it was nearly ten years before I could say it didn't occupy my thoughts or bother me multiple times a day. It was always on my mind, as in "what did I do wrong." This was far too long. It did help to focus my attention on work (which I did, after I graduated).

Another problem is that I always was short on friends and support systems in those days. I suppose, if I had taken the time to get involved with other groups or activities, that something would have filled the vacuum sooner. This would be my advice to you. These days, although that infatuation now is far behind me, I find that volunteering at a number of community organizations is a way to maintain many levels of connection with the community. I have more friends and acquaintances now, than I did then. The bottom line was that I was very lonely. I think you've written similarly for yourself. I think it's important to get involved, not primarily for making friends per se, but to be involved in a social support system. Volunteer work is one way to get this going.

I probably also should have discussed this issue with a therapist, but I was always too shy in those days to even "go there," when it came to that basic desire for close male friendships.

And then, there's the final bit of advice. I was in denial for three long years, and wasted far too much time. It appears in your case that you have a chance to perhaps cut the Cycle of Disaster a bit short. If I had done this, perhaps the end wouldn't have been so painful, and the aftermath not as long.

If you're getting the idea from this that I don't have a magic solution for this type of problem, you are correct. I don't feel that I created a solution to my situation, as much as time just made one happen gradually. I do see now that I could have done a few things that would have shortened that time and improved my self-esteem.

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Patrick,

I was in the closet for 37 years, as a married gay man for 20 years.

What you describe happened to me a couple of times during my closeted years, only I was the other guy. I have worked with a few openly gay people during my career, and their openness scared me. I longed for what they had, and I knew they were out, and part of me wanted to join their circle, but of course, I had to back off and maintain distance because I was married with children.

It sounds like he might well be closeted and he could be totally into you. And yes, it's a hornets nest that you're getting yourself into. Remember, even if he is into you, and even if he were to come out to you tomorrow and tell you he likes you, unless you want to help him cheat on his spouse, this is a long road to nowhere.

My advice - walk away.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

6. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Imgay47,

Actually, if he were to come out to me or acknowledge something, I would hopefully refer him here or offer to be supportive. I don't want to be anyone's dirty little secret or second choice. Unless he were separated or divorced I would not be interested in more. Or at least I tell myself that now.

I'm trying not to second-guess coming out. I was so certain it was the right thing to do back then 20 years ago, but it's been difficult at times and lonely too. Sometimes I wonder if having kids would take that loneliness away. On the other hand, I was so certain I was gay there was no way of justifying a marriage unless I would be willing to lie completely. I don't think I would see my kids quite the same knowing that they were part of a closet door or a bargain with myself. I know what it's like when there's a cloud hanging over a family, and kids can definitely sense it.

I'll forget this crush in time. The real "hornets' nest" for me is this self-doubt, and the realization that I'm trying to fill a void with the wrong thing. After all this time, I'm still not sure if I have figured out being gay. After all, assuming I had figured it out, why would I still be lonely? I have a great circle of friends but I'm missing a basic level of self-acceptance that's preventing me from seeing potential romantic partners. Instead, I fixate on things that are impossible or very bad for me, such as this guy.

Did you have struggles with envy for the other side of the closet door, and have you ever regretted coming out? Do you think you've figured out how to be gay? Have you fully accepted yourself? How do you integrate being gay with your life so that it just "is" without needing to overwhelm every decision you make?

It's really helping me to get this off my chest. Thank you!

Thanks,

Patrick
    Seattle, WA

#6 Patrick7269, Oct 24, 2016