1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I considered to be attractive?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ArchAndroid, Oct 26, 2016.

1. ArchAndroid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello,

I shall be honest with you. It has has become a great struggle for me to make use of dating apps just because I am barely getting matches/attention. Most people around me tell me that they think I'm beautiful, handsome/goodlooking and I am a type of person that does attach a significant amount of value to the way I'm looking.

I'm realizing my insecurity increases as I use these apps, even if it's solely used for 'superficial reasons' in which you would like to get some attention or a nice conversation with goodlooking/interesting individuals. It simply doesn't happen. Other gay people around me they use it and they mentioned it can be an ego-booster. But for me, my self-worth was actually influenced by this and I'd never imagine it would.

I've been single since march this year (had my first relationship at 25 and it wasn't a good one/ I'm 26 now) and up until now I haven't done anything when it comes to men (despite using apps, going out pretty much etc). I'm feeling lonely and not wanted since I've recently also been rejected by someone of whom I thought he wanted me as well. Our friendship was quickly dissolved after that and it makes it even worse. Sometimes I can be confident in the way I look, but deep down I'm constantly questioning things I maybe shouldn't.

The reactions I get from around me is that I'm too picky and too reserved when it comes to men. I know this attitude is actually a result of those rejections I've had before, and the confirmation that never happened in which someone was truly interested in me. But it may be because they just don't want to hurt my feelings.

I'm perhaps a more slightly feminine looking guy and I prefer the somewhat more masculine men (not the macho types) and you know how that goes. 90% of the handsome masculine men are searching for the exact same thing. (I thought we weren't all monolithic?)

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as rejection and apps themselves - some of the traditional wisdom applies here (many people use them for hooking up, as opposed to dating, and it's very easy to ignore/reject someone over an app as opposed to in person, and so forth). But it sounds like you've had a lot of negative experiences with dating recently as opposed to positive ones - and the experience with your most recent ex may be something that is still making it difficult for you to move on and date other people.

It might be counter intuitive, but I would suggest giving the apps a break for a bit. If they're making you feel rejected and self-conscious, then they aren't helping. Spend some time with yourself and your friends, and get more comfortable with where you are in life and how you feel about yourself. Maybe once you're more comfortable with where things are at, you'll find that dating is easier.