1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this friendship toxic for me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ThatOneK1d, Oct 30, 2016.

1. ThatOneK1d

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To shorten this up as much as possible. My friend and I are both closeted. I had come out to him and he came out to me. Later on I would tell him that I had feelings for him and the feelings weren't replicated back, mistakenly telling him when he had just broken up with his boyfriend.

After a few months of getting over it we became best friends again started exclusively hanging out with each other on a weekly basis. Then goes a couple more months and he started to show some feelings for me to one point where we had a couple of drinks and ended up making out and cuddling the rest of the night. Then after that it went no where. He and I acted like nothing had happened at all and we got back to doing friend-ish things. Now I'm torn and in a way I feel like this friendship is taking too much out of my emotions because I don't know if he is trying to get with me or it's just my head messing with me. I know a drunken night of anything doesn't usually mean much but the build up to that night was what made me question his liking for me.

Should I take a step back and check myself? Does he only want me as a friend? He and I are both kind of shy and awkward so it makes things tons harder to talk to one another about our feelings and what not, so kissing and cuddling is no where near our norm.

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you should step back for a moment because you had mentioned earlier that when you confessed your feelings for him that he had not been too long broken up from a relationship with his ex boyfriend. Therefore, what I am trying to say is that depending how long that relationship with his former lasted or how much in love he was with him then that drunken night that you guys had could have just came out wanting to be close to someone and the liquor assisted him into taking advantage of the situation at hand. With that being said...this could be part of the reason why he is acting as if nothing happened because more than likely he does not want you take that moment as an indication of it becoming something more. So...for now..I would suggest just stepping back for a moment and leave the ball in his court.

3. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree step back, leave any next move up to him.

As for cuddling, don't read too much into that either. Even without drinks, my BFF, a gay man and I end up cuddling now and then and, I have a female body. Hey, everyone needs a hug, or jst to cuddle quietly now and then and, friends can do that.

4. ThatOneK1d

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I appreciate the advice guys. Will do.

5. Tracy23

Another option is to just avoid the games altogether.

You could just ask him if the night of cuddling meant anything to him and if his feelings toward you have changed. If he says no, then you know. If he acts shy or embarrassed about it, or outright says yes, then that's a much better response for you...but either way, knowing will solve a lot of your discontent.