1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I be mad at this guy? Feeling shit

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by WhiteShadows, Oct 31, 2016.

1. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, so this year I've kind of formed a group of queer friends, which has been nice for the most part. But I'm beginning to think I got roped into the really reckless / slutty side of the community.

More recently, I've gotten to know another guy who was a mutual friend in the group. He was always quite flirty with me, but I thought it was because he liked me. He ended up getting a boyfriend, but he said it was a really relaxed open relationship, and he kept making suggestions to me. I felt weird, because on the one hand I really like this guy, and he's very cute, but I know I couldn't feel loved by someone who was in a relationship with another person.

Anyway, over the weeks eventually we make out a bit: I feel bad and he's actually nice about it and says he wants to make sure I don't get hurt. We even do some sexual stuff a few weeks later. But then, suddenly he doesn't really seem to care about me when we hang out alone. Like, he wants to hang out but like doesn't hug me or anything like he used to.

But recently I've realised that he's more promiscuous than I thought. At parties he drinks a lot, and then flirts and makes out with multiple people. I think he's also been sexually involved with other people. This kind of hurts for me, because I feel like I don't really mean anything to him, and I'm quite the reserved type that generally doesn't give myself up to people easily.

Also, when we're hanging out in a group of people, suddenly he wants constant contact and affection from me. It's like a complete contrast to when we're alone. I feel like he just wants me to show off to other people?

The thing is he is really a nice person, and I'm not sure what to think. Am I just being too critical? Is messing around with multiple people really a bad thing?

I don't know how to feel :frowning2:

2. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WhiteShadows,

It sounds like you're in a stage of coming out where you need to figure out what being gay means to you, and how you want to express being gay.

To me there is a huge difference between sexual experimentation and looking for a relationship. You may be confused whether you want to experiment, or have a relationship with this guy. If it's just experimentation, you can probably let him fool around with anyone he wants and not be hurt by it. But if you feel drawn to him emotionally and if you would like to have an exclusive relationship with him, that's a very different kind of desire.

I would suggest that you determine what you want, and let him know. I also think there's no reason to be upset with him, given that you haven't communicated yet. However, it does sound like he likes to get around and I would consider whether or not he is capable of a relationship in the way you might want.

Patrick

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey WhiteShadows,

I think you laid out your own argument in your post answering your title question.

There is definitely a side of the gay community that is much as you describe as is disturbing. There are a lot of younger guys that primarily just want to party and have sex, but aren’t prepared to enter into real or serious relationships.

You sound like a nice, level-headed young man and you seem to know what you want in a relationship. You might want to consider letting your conscience/gut feelings guide you.

This shouldn’t surprise you since he said up-front that he was in an open relationship – and it’s not with you.

What does this describe to you? How does he actually think of you if he treats you this way? Could you just be a trophy FWB to him?

He may be a charismatic person and really cute, as you describe him, but a “nice” person? Actions speak louder than words. Are his actions consistent with how you identify a “nice” person? A person that you want to be in a relationship with?

I would argue that you are not being critical enough. If his values do not reflect your own, is he someone that you want to be intimate with? If you are fine with him sleeping around and knowing that he isn’t actually committed to you, then that’s your choice. I’m not passing judgment here, I’m just asking questions and trying to use your own words to show you that you seem to have a decision about how to feel about this already in your mind.

And I agree with Patrick7269 that this is more about you figuring out what you want for yourself and not really being mad at him. Just understand him for who he is and figure out if he is really the type of person that you want to be with or maybe just hang out with or maybe even not really be around.

I hope that helps a little.:slight_smile:

#3 Quantumreality, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In all honesty...the only thing you can do at this point is to move on. In a way you kind of have no one to really blame for the situation you're in but yourself. From what I've understood from reading your post and please correct me if I'm wrong but you did mentioned that you found out that he got a boyfriend during the time he was flirting with you. To me..that was your first sign to back away from this situation. Unfortunately, again from what I've read...you took things further by opening yourself up to mess around with him despite the red flags that was presented to you. The fact that you've got intimate with him on one occasion and then you mentioned how bad you felt afterwards but turn around and did it again where you even took it to another level so to speak. All in all...what I gathered from your story is that you really liked this guy a lot and I would even go so far as to assume that although you knew he chose to get involved with someone while being very flirty with you...you chose to push this aside and kept yourself open for more of his charming ways in hopes that things would developed or better yet..that he would eventually begin to develop feelings for you as you have for him...but at the end of the day...that did not happen. Unfortunately, this guy may be a nice person but as you have mentioned..he is very promiscuous to say the least. To make matters worst...it appears that he is now taking advantage of you.

In my opinion...you deserve better than what is given to you by this guy because I can tell you right now that you will never have him the way you would like to and from what you are saying in your post which puts me in mind of an old Aretha Franklin hit song that mentions ..."I'm just a link to your chain...". Dude...don't play yourself cheap like this...he is not worth it. Another thing...if he is such a nice guy...he would not straddle you along in the manner that he is doing right now. However, I can't really put a lot of blame on him because he is putting everything basically out in the open but you seem to be ignoring the signs so to speak. Just read my response and think about what I am trying to tell you. Hopefully, you can understand where I am coming from and trying to convey to you. Good Luck!!!!!

#4 JonSomebody, Oct 31, 2016
  5. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone for your advice. It's really helpful.

Just to clarify a few things:
    - I'm not at all upset with him for being open / doing things with other people, if anything I'm just upset about the affection only around other people thing. Also, I've kind of felt like sometimes he takes advantage of our friendship... like, I drive him places sometimes and help him out with his uni projects sometimes. But it's not too much, and it's usually when we're hanging out anyway.

- I am completely aware that any emotional/mental damage I suffer from this situation is my own fault

- It's a bit weird, because he's not just some random I've gotten involved with suddenly. We actually became kind of close friends before anything happened, and I feel like the friendship has been meaningful to both of us. Another confusing thing I guess is that he's said that I mean a lot more to him than randoms that he makes out with at parties etc.

Like, the day we made out, he kind of stopped me and said he wanted to make sure I was ok with it and he didn't want to lead me on or anything. And then the next time we saw each other he actually said he thought we shouldn't kiss, and he said it was because he didn't want me to fall into the same category of like, people he just makes out with but don't mean anything to him.

- I do genuinely believe he is a nice person, and I suspect and hope that the actions like the affection stuff is somewhat to do with his poor mental health in the past.

- When we did end up doing more stuff, we did talk about it for quite a while first. And ultimately I decided to do some of the stuff; I had definitely considered the consequences. In response to what Patrick said, I DO think I am in the stage of deciding what being gay means to me now. Like, I definitely like the idea of love and commitment, but I've also wanted to experiment a bit, and I guess I've gotten kind of torn and confused by this. I suppose the thing is, I would only really experiment with very few people (I'm just not interested in many people really), and I think seeing how eager some other people in the community are was a bit of a shock to me.

- Final confusing thing: him and his boyfriend hardly saw each other, and he used to confide a lot in me about their relationship troubles. Like, they saw each other maybe once a fortnight, and he (the boyfriend) was quite a dick to him, and he's said he wants to cut it off with him. And that's weird, because, even though he was in an open relationship, and clearly fine with experimenting, he... wanted more commitment from his bf? He seemed quite sad about it too.

I guess it really does come down to figuring out what I want. I think at this stage my plan is to give myself some space from him for a little while, but then at some point talk to him about this. I want to let him know that the affection thing kind of hurts me, and that maybe I might want some space for a while.

Thanks again for the advice, any more is very much appreciated!

#5 WhiteShadows, Oct 31, 2016
  6. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi WhiteShadows,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you having. It seems to me that you have strong feelings for him, you don't just see him as someone to experiment without any emotional attachment. If that is the case then I think some distance will be good but you are right that you need to speak to him. If he cannot commit to one person - and it seems that he cannot at this stage in his life - then you will not be able to be happy with him on an emotional level if you want exclusivity from him.

While you could easily be friends it doesn't sound like anything more than that is feasible given his behaviour. Like Quantumreality said, this is not a judgemental statement - rather the point is that you and he seem to expect completely different things from your relationships (that is you expect commitment and exclusivity, he doesn't). I think that if you decide to explore things further with him then you will need to clearly communicate what you would want from him and see if he is prepared to provide that.

Just a thought, hope it helps. I think you are right to give yourself some space and I hope you work things out :slight_smile:

P.S. I don't think you are to blame for your emotions, we cannot control to whom we are attracted - we can only control how we respond to that emotional impulse.

#6 Barbatus, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  7. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Small update:

So yesterday we hung out. Even though I'm trying to get space from him, he messaged me saying he was feeling really depressed and wanted to talk to someone.

I didn't want to bring up the affection thing then, because he was obviously in a bad place... although we did talk a little bit about his recklessness with alcohol and messing around with people and the like (he brought it up not me). He said he felt that he wasn't being very sensible with a lot of things, but I still don't think his behaviour is gonna change any time soon...

I'm just trying to get some space for a while now, and then eventually I'll tell him how I've felt about the way he's acted around me with other people.

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's totally your choice, WhiteShadows, whether or not to give him some space. But I would suggest that you do what is best for you and not worry about him too much right now. If you still want to be friends - and ONLY friends - with him, then you need to distance yourself emotionally from him. That will normally take time and space. It's great that you want to be there for him, but first and foremost you have to look after yourself or you could potentially be dragged into situations that will once again make you uncomfortable and frustrated.

Just some thoughts.

Best of luck!:slight_smile: