1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm In Denial To My Family...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sensibleshoes, Nov 2, 2016.

1. sensibleshoes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My brother has suspected that I'm gay multiple times, and has asked me if I was a lesbian, to which I have said no. But I am. I'm scared that he'll tell my dad when I'm not ready to come out yet, and I'll get kicked out. My sister does not know, nor does my little brother. The only people who know are my very close band friends and my mom. What do I do???

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In all honesty...I don't think you should come out until you are ready to do so. Coming out is something that you really should not be forced into especially with family members. It can be a very risky situation because you are not certain as to how it will turn out. Therefore, unless you feel comfortable with doing so..then by all means do it. However, if you are not ready ...then in my opinion...I would stay in denial with family members. Nonetheless...whatever you decide to do...I wish you well with your decision.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey sensibleshoes,

To echo what JonSomebody said, you should only Come Out when you are ready, comfortable, and you feel safe to do so.

Telling parents is especially uncomfortable for most of us. We can only Come Out to them when WE are ready to do so – on our own timeline, no one else’s.

If your brother says anything to your parents at this point, you can simply deny it. He can’t prove it. Only YOU know your own sexuality. Just be prepared not to show shock or doubt on your own face, which could give you away. Maybe practice showing scorn or even a little anger at the suggestion that someone would say such a thing about you. If you are worried that that seems deceitful, remember that your sexuality is VERY personal and private information and it is no one else’s business until/unless we decide to tell them.

As JonSomebody indicated, it is your decision to Come Out or not, so don’t let any action by your brother force you to do something you are not ready for or comfortable doing.

I hope this helps a little.