1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My BF sometimes randomly pushes me away

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by WhiteRaven, Nov 4, 2016.

1. WhiteRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So yeah, I have a lovely boyfriend and am super happy with him. Of course we sometimes have normal disagreements, but we always work it out in the end. I really love him a whole lot, but there's one thing I could use some help with.

He has a lot of repressed insecurities that aren't immediately obvious when you initially meet with him and in normal daily interaction. But sometimes something just randomly 'clicks' the wrong way in his brain, and he suddenly seems to become a different person.
    He'll just look at me coldly without a single shred of emotion and shuts himself off from me. If I look into his eyes it's like he doesn't even see the real me.
    He'll say nothing is wrong if I ask him. If I keep pressing he'll eventually coldly say he won't tell because it's not important/telling won't change anything/it doesn't matter. When I tell him it DOES matter and his feeling DO matter to me he'll just shake his head.
    Usually when I keep talking into him for a while he'll tell something along the lines of: "You said you didn't want to be with me" "you're disgusted by me" "you don't really love me" "one day you'll wake up from this fairy tale and realize I'm the wrong person and you can get better and leave me" etc.
    He'll all say this without emotion in his voice, face or eyes, which makes it even more upsetting to me. Normally he'll NEVER say such a thing, and then, when I look into his eyes, I just see and feel that he loves me and knows I love him too. I can see he's not being himself and being taken over by some sort of an "attack", which is why I can forgive him for saying such things, even though they hurt me more than anything...

So far we've worked it out every time, and my way of dealing with it has improved as well and I'm keeping my calm more. (I used to suffer from anxiety attacks and nearly completely have them under control, but the first times this happened I got a full blown attack again and just completely lost it, not improving the situation and actually pushing him away more)
    So far I found that what helps best is pointing his focus to all the times I showed him my love and caring, and reminding him of how that made him feel, but still it puts a big toll on me when it happens. It makes me feel rejected and kind of betrayed (I never showed him any signs I don't love him and yet he finds some, like he WANTS to), and I really have to use all of my willpower to stay calm and not get a full panic attack and freak out completely. In such a moment I have to be a rock of reason and compassion to him, while I'm crumbling on the inside.
    And that it happens TOTALLY randomly without any signs or clear reason is also hard on me (like, it's not like an argument and you can say "Oh yeah, I said something mean and that's why he's upset", he'll drag up things in his mind that could have happened weeks ago and suddenly ruminate over them wayyy too much and then conclude I don't love him all on his own). It sometimes makes me feel like I'm living with a ticking time bomb.

Sorry for the ramble, and kudos if you ACTUALLY read all that. I'm just wondering if someone here is familiar with similar behaviour, either from oneself or a friend, family member or SO, because even though I'm starting to see patterns and learn to deal with it, I still don't understand it, and would prefer to find a way to actually SOLVE this problem, since it brings me great stress.
    How can I bring him back into 'reality' best, or even prevent him from snapping into this mindset? What causes this sudden shift in thinking and is there anything I (or he) can do to stop it/make it better?

Thanks
    WhiteRaven

2. alittlemore

I haven't been in a *very* similar situation, but I have had to deal with close friends whose insecurities would make them suspicious and cold towards me for no apparent reason. All I can say is that, if you know this relationship is worth it, then you're doing the right thing by supporting your BF. **However**, it's not your job to "fix him" or be an emotional punching bag. Your health is important too. I would suggest that you talk to him about it when he's "normal", explain that you support him but also how much this affects you too. Maybe let him know that there is help available, it sounds like he could benefit from some counselling - or even just someone to talk to anonymously. For example, in the UK there's the Samaritans hotline, who you can call anonymously and talk about anything that's on your mind. It's often very difficult to open up to people we care about.

Sorry for the long response, I hope it helped a little and that things work out well for both of you.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually find this somewhat scary. My knowledge about human psychology is very limited, I'm very sure other members here (especially moderators and Chip in particular) can very very likely give you much better advice. Having said that, I will give some of my thoughts.

To me it seems that he, at times, really cannot believe that you like him. Him pushing you away could be due to the fact that it's too painful for him to have you that close when he feels like that. He may not want you to see him/be with him when he's like that. People cope with insecurities in different ways, but I don't think my reasoning is too unlikely.

However, what I find strange is that you say that he seems very cold and even different. I don't know if this is a common in such situations. I'd expect him to be sad, not cold..

4. Psaurus918

I've actually been dealing with the same thing with my best friend for the last 10 or so years. I do everything I can for him and he constantly says I don't care about him. Over the last year or two he started smoking pot heavily and it's made his mood swings 10x worse and has made being around him unbearable because you never know what's going to set him off.

My advice is if you feel like he's the one then take time and give him space. You don't want to push him away and you don't need his behavior to cause you mental health problems. Unfortunately your boyfriend like my friend are wired differently for whatever reason.

5. Civiel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the other people here I also have experience with this, but I have been the person who pushes people away, or I still am I suppose. If he is anything like me I know exactly how he feels, and believe me, it's extremely hard on him and he probably feels very guilty afterwards. That kind of behaviour is a sign of him wanting your attention and compassion. I am sure you are very good at giving it to him, but if he is mentally ill in any way (like me with depression) that won't get through to him. I think you should try to figure out if he has a mental problem. As stated i struggle with the exact same thing, and I suffer from depression. He needs help if he frequently feels like that, because living like that is terrible. And believe me, when he in those moments become cold and say you don't love him, that is the truth to him. 100 percent, he honestly believes that. So the only thing you can do is to try and be there to support him, and if that is too much for Your own mental health at times just tell him he is being unreasonable, that you love him still and that you will step away till he calms down. I think that is the only suggestion I can make. Reassurance helps me at least, but it's also important that you don't put up with his behaviour. Tell him that he is unreasonable, sometimes people like us need a wake up call.

That's really all I can say :/ Good luck! I am rooting for you