1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have been talking to this guy for 2 weeks online and now I'm about to meet him

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Skaros, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So my first potential partner from this dating app didn't really work out... we just didn't have anything in common and he wasn't sure what he was looking for. I wasn't really into him to begin with, and I was really just "giving him a chance". Basically, he really just wasn't the right guy (and I'm glad it didn't work out).

However, since then, there's been a second guy and we've really been hitting it off. I honestly didn't expect anything from him until we actually started having conversations. We have much more in common and we seem to get closer and closer in terms of how we chat eachother each day. We Snapchat every day, and we Facebook message a lot as well. I let my friend look through all the Facebook messages we sent to eachother, and she said it was very very cute and he's 'totally into me'. Our Snapchats were probably much more cuter (and probably more intimate).

Shortly after the Cubs won the world series, he sends me a video Snapchat asking me on a date. I said yes, and now we're expecting to meet in person for the first time tomorrow. Thing is, he will be in a group with probably at least a dozen other people. He's a theater guy and after he performs (he's performing in a musical tomorrow in the early afternoon) the cast usually goes out and gets dinner. Some of the other cast members are bringing a "significant other", so he said I wouldn't really be out of place. However, I am a bit worried because I'm not the best at meeting new people. I can really open up to people when I get to know them, but I'm just not the best with first impressions! I'm nervous that he and they will think I'm weird.

He's picking me up, so I'm hoping I can get a few words with him in private before we make it to the dinner. I already let him know that I'm a bit shy and quiet when meeting new people. However, I really do want to try to make the best first impression I can... this guy honestly seems like an incredible, honest, caring person. I really want to get to know him more and see if this really does turn into something more than some dating app date. It's so easy to talk to him on social media, but when I'm put into face-to-face conversations I get nervous.

Has anyone ever felt like this? Should I be worried? I know he's from a dating app, but it seems rare to find someone who's not looking for just sex and is actually very honest and open about his weaknesses and problems.

2. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is exciting! This is your first date with someone who might become more than just an online cutie. When it comes to meeting people for the first time, I'm pretty much like you. I'm incredibly shy and it can actually take me weeks, even months to open up to someone. My suggestion is that you make sure that he knows how you are, you might have told him that you're a bit shy and stuff around new people, but you've gotta tell him more than that. When it comes to me, sometimes people have to literally drag the words from my mouth. Tell him that if he sees you struggling, to help you out.

Now, about the incredibly talkative when online yet shy and quiet offline thing, I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone who's met someone online. So expect a little awkwardness at the beginning. More than likely, the night is gonna go great, you have a lot in common, so use that as conversation starters during the ride to the dinner. When you're with the group of people, try to talk to them, not just him. If you can't do it, just smile and nod like I do. If you can't say it with words, use your facial expressions.

Hope this helped and hoped that he date goes great!

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow, this actually helps a lot. Thank you very much! When we first started talking online, he's told me he's socially awkward on social media (which he kind of was), but that he's much more social in real life. And I guess I'm just kind of the opposite. So maybe he won't think too bad of me. I was at a party last weekend and it was my friend that invite me. I did have a bit of trouble getting to talk to everyone else there. My friend kind of had to help me along a little... but it was overall fine, I guess. I do think, however, I will be able to hold a decent conversation one on one with him in his car. Maybe I could try leading off of that...

4. Sen1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm meeting this girl I've been talking to online in person for the first time in a couple days. I'm really nervous too. Like you I am really comfortable talking over messaging but when it come to face to face I am extremely shy. I really want this to work out but can't get over the this nervous feeling.

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just met him yesterday. It went really well! There was nothing to be nervous about! It's okay to be nervous, just be yourself :slight_smile: And if you really feel nervous, come up with a few topics that you think you could talk about. Eventually you may find yourself really opening up to her.

Also, another big thanks to Robishere, your advice really helped me a lot. :slight_smile: It went so well he ended up not needing to help me along.

#5 Skaros, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  6. Gay Deputy

Glad to hear it went well!!! Best of luck for the future!

7. CameOutSwinging

Yay to it going well! That's great news!