1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Two People + Me = A Mess! Help!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Starfruit Ninja, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Starfruit Ninja

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there! I need advice on this, especially since the people to whom I usually go for advice don't understand...

I am currently dating two guys. One I met in class at the beginning of the school year and one who my friends set me up with in October. Both are pretty great, have their positive traits and flaws and I seem to be stuck; I can't choose! When I seem to have made my decision my feelings turn around again leaving me confused more than ever.

The guy from school (Let's call him Will), is my age and lives in the same town as me. He's really nice, adorable, and extremely in touch with his feelings which I particularly like. He's also really honest, although a lot of people have told me not to date him because of his past and that he lies. A lot. So I don't know what to think about that. He's really sweet but it's sometimes invading, always repeating how pretty I am. I don't mind, but he can get awkward and is already acting towards people as if we're in an official relationship.

Now the guy my friends set me up with (Let's call him Tom), is 17 (I'm 15), and lives in a town 40 minutes away. My parents don't let me drive there often because the reputation of the place and the people there is horrible. Three of my friends date people who are there (That probably influences something). Anyway. First time I met the dude I wasn't ready for a relationship (still recovering from past relationship) but now I am. I don't really feel emotionally connected to him and don't know him a lot since he doesn't text that often. Emotionally it's slow but we've made out and like cuddling etc. But he's the sweetest guy when it comes to little things and a real gentleman. He's the greatest version of himself when you consider his troubled past.

When it comes to my values (equal rights, etc.) I know Will is okay with lots of those but I'm not so sure about Tom (he sometimes has racist/homophobic behaviors)... I really care about these things in a relationship and I love people who are accepting and open-minded.

In some ways one relationship is more evolved than the other. I really like both guys and don't want to do any harm. It has been giving me a lot of stress and when I try to solve it it only messes me up more.

When I think of the future, I can imagine myself with one or the other, but it's not what I imagined my life would be like since they're both small town boys and I want to travel to big cities. So when it comes to having serious relationships with them, I can see long term but not full-long-term-for-life-and-commitment-with-a-ring.

When I asked for advice from my mom, she told me I should rather stay single. I don't know if she said that because she really thinks it or because she knows Will isn't from a financially stable family and that Tom isn't from a good town, etc. Unlike her, to me those things don't matter.

What are your thoughts on it? Ask if you need more info/have questions.

2. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think your mom's advice is good. Almost everyone (gay, straight, corkscrew...) wants to feel they have things figured out now... that this is it, now I can settle down and not change. Even though you know perfectly well that, for example, looking back on how you were a year ago, it's a good thing you didn't just stop changing.

I think New Brunswick is not exactly the Big City either, and I totally empathize with your desire to see more. What is it with cities? The people. Lots of them. Fascinating ones. You will probably like that.

This paragraph will not point out how young you are.

Meanwhile, what to do? It's so hard to be in a relationship with the thought "this won't last." Because of what I said in the first paragraph. Maybe if your dates are basically G-rated you could keep seeing both guys. But if things heat up, you may have to (nicely) break up with one. The odds are very strong (just based on the way life goes) that you'll break up with both eventually. But good luck!

3. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I too have to agree with your mother also and I know you may not want to hear this but I have to say it. You are still pretty young and you have so much of life to experience before even considering settling down with a guy. You are basically in that exploratory phase which is in my opinion you should be doing. However, I do not see a problem with you dating two guys at once especially if they know the boundaries of the relationships. It's nothing wrong with having fun and I also can relate to dating two guys at once because I've been there too. Again...at your age...I honestly do not see you in a long term relationship with either one of these guys especially once things began to get serious and the fun becomes pressure and stressful. You have so much of life in front of you to be bogged down with these problems anyway. Just my opinion...but I do wish you the best.