1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sister called me uneducated be I voted for Hilary

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Shasta, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm hurt my sister called uneducated because I voted for Hilary. I guess that means I have a very close minded family

2. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted for Hillary too, and I'm really sad and confused right now. But I am an American, and whether I personally agree with it or not Trump will be my president. I love democracy more than a political party. It will be a challenge for me though.

I'm so concerned that we have conservative control of the entire government right now. Hopefully the political gains LGBT folks have made are widely supported by the voting public and wouldn't be touched, but that remains to be seen. It's simply a time for faith right now; faith that things will be fine despite how we label our experience.

Are you trying to see how tolerant your family would be if you came out to them?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your sister is the one who is uneducated. We know from the data that Trump was overwhelmingly elected by people who do not have a college education and/or otherwise lack critical thinking skills.

4. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also - some people are acting like only dumb liberals vote for Hillary because she is a "liar" of whatever, and there they are, voting for a man with no political experience. They're not as intelligent as they think they are.

5. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Yes, because people WITH college education are fucking rich and gain incredible lots of money from illegals like they gain it in germany from the refugees. Sure they don't want their source of money to be thrown out.

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ignore your sister. Her opinion is based off of her own disdain for anyone having different views than her. I believe that there can be intelligence in both party preferences. Also, Hillary Clinton's first name is spelled with two L's. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I see this mistake a lot and I've had an itch to correct people.

#6 Anthemic, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your sister supports Trump, then she's cleasrly the one who is severely uneducated--not you.

8. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Best answer here. It's not a solution to take an example from her sister and call other people with other opinions stupid. I think Trump is the lesser of two evils, but I can absolutely see why someone would choose Clinton. In the end, we can't tell who would be the better president because only one could make it.

9. Gooonerz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If anyone thinks voting for one candidate over another shows your education or lack thereof, they are seriously deluded

That said, voting for Trump is the obvious exception to this rule. Anyone who did just voted to screw with Muslims, Mexicans your fellow LGBT people as Trump or Pence appointing judges is scary.

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be clear, the demographic data definitely shows that the overwhelming majority of Trump voters have no college education and are less informed than their counterparts who voted for Hillary.

This somewhat generalizes to Republicans in general, but of course there are also the 1% and various highly educated people who understand the issues but don't give a crap about the average person.

11. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@Chip: I'd be careful with invalidations of opinions because of the degree. Especially because college is afforded by upper class people. So if only their opionions are valuable that's basically modern-day aristocracy.

12. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Clinton is not that great. I don't like her at all and i dont trust her. But its just stupid not to vote for her, otherwise you end up with trump as president. Which is what happened.

13. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm the lone Hillary supporter here too, my local friends all voted for Trump. This election polarized this nation in a way I haven't seen in a long time, everyone is on edge for one reason or another. We didn't have a good choice, we had the less bad of two bad choices to make.

Let it go, we are Americans. Even if we don't agree on who SHOULD be president, we can agree that this country needs work, a lot of it and, it's going to take all of us to even begin to fix this mess.

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not invalidating the opinion; what I'm basically saying is that, for the most part, people who voted for Trump were far less educated than those who voted for Clinton. People can be uneducated and have an opinion; it just, in most cases, won't be a particularly informed opinion, and that's exactly what we have with Trump.

Also, in the US, at least, a college education (at least a community college degree) is in reach of just about everyone. Grants and low-cost loans are available. At the schools I've attended, quite a few people are on full ride, many are on public assistance, and some are homeless. And it is also far from true that all college graduates are "upper class."

15. Gay Deputy

There are monsters in both candidates. Trump brought the least to the table. Hillary's plans to open borders was a direct national security threat. Look at what is happening overseas in areas that took in refugees. Trump did not descrimante against muslims or any other group. He wants better and more complete vetting of refugees...until that happens he wants the borders closed...I don't see an issue with that.

Hillary wanted to raise taxes and increase spending...what kind of financial security is that? Trump wants tax breaks for the middle class...not the top 1%. Hillary would have kept the affordable care act and attempted to "fix" it. Trump wants health care savings plans which are proven to be more effective.

That said, he brings Pence to the table who is scary as hell for our community. He has absolutely no regard for us. I pray their hands will be too full to worry about us.

Also, midterm elections are in 2 years. Democrats have a chance of taking positions back.

All of this said, I do not claim a party but would be more closely tied to the libertarian party if pushed to choose one. I'm also not college educated but I do not consider myself "less informed." I'm a pissed off middle class member who graduated HS with a 4.2 GPA and could have gone to college had I been inclined. Instead, I chose a life of service to my fellow citizens.