1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to i make sure someone is real on dating app

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Shasta, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been talking to this guy about two weeks. I wasn't really expecting it to go anywhere, but he ended liking me. I like him too but I still have my concerns how do I make sure he is real. I looked at his fb profile and his seems to be genuine.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a few security tips that i can give to you:

1-Never give too much personal information. Use your common sense about this: It is ok to say "I'm visiting my mother next week", but giving your adress and telling him/her about the times you are at home may not be a great idea.

2-Looking at Facebook is a good idea. You can check the pictures of the person, and, while it may not be a 100% reliable method (the person could be using a fake profile or using the profile of someone else), it is still interesting to take a look there.

3-If you feel comfortable, a quick call through Skype using a camera may be a good idea. Just don't do anything on the camera that you wouldn't be confortable doing somewhere else. Chatting is ok, taking off your clothes to a stranger is a very bad idea. Again, common sense.

4-If you looked at his facebook and your gut isn't raising any red flags, it is probably ok to meet up in a public place. Meeting up at your or his house is a bad idea for a first date. Usually, i invite the person to grab some ice cream or a coffee, for example, but the most important thing is to choose a place and a time where you aren't going to be alone with him. That way, you are going to be safe if he isn't real, or even if things don't work really well.

5-Tell a friend about it. If you are worried, it may be a good idea to tell your friend something like: "I think i'll be back home at 10 PM. Can you call me by this time to check if everything is ok?".

To sum it up, it all comes down to common sense. Trust your gut: If something doesn't feel right, don't meet up. If you are already in the date and you aren't comfortable, at anytime you can say: "Hey, i'm sorry that i'm in a hurry, but i need to go now.", and leave (make sure you use a car/cab or that the way back is safe, too, of course).

Now, with all these rules and tips, i'm not trying to scare you. Meeting someone is fun, most of the times, and there is no need to worry so much that you are scared of everyone. I believe most of the people in the world are good people. However, unfortunately, bad people exist, and it is important to be cautious and don't risk yourself.

3. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another thing to do is voice your concerns to the other person. if they are legit, it won't be a problem but, if there is one, they will either block you or, get really defensive on you.

Anyone that cars for their own safety will understand wanting to be sure the other person is for real when you've only talked online and, are considering meeting up in person.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you intend to move things on or meet up, I would agree with Chiroptera's advice and urge you to talk via webcam first. Almost everyone has access to a computer with a webcam now and it doesn't take a genius to set up a Skype profile (or something similar). If he is genuine he will not make excuses to not do so. It just gives you a bit of peace of mind.