1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bisexual in a relationship: there is sthing missing

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by jerem, Nov 12, 2016.

1. jerem

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi all,
    coming here because this has been poisoning me for the past few months and I need help.
    I'm a bisexual male, discovered it several years ago, have been in my first relationship with a man for 14 months, the relationship is wonderful, my partner is fantastic, and everything is flawless but for the fact that I'm now missing having sex and being in a relationship with a woman.

I've always been very loyal/serious about my relationships, and I'm really afraid that I'm gonna hold on to my relationship until I get sick about it and desperately quit. I feel shameful/guilty about it, I shared it with my partner once and even though he was very supportive/trying to understand, it hurt him, I am angry at myself and hopeless for feeling this. I talked about it to my therapist, and she advised me to share about it somewhere like here.

I discussed several times with my partner the option to have a threesome with a woman, he agrees, but I just do not want to start seeking actively because it almost feels sick to look for it / and it now feels wrong to seek it while I'm clearly having an issue with my sexuality/relationship and it looks like a very bad fix.

I feel awful. I wish I was just satisfied with what I have, but I simply don't.
    I wonder if I am really totally bisexual. I am attracted by both sexes, but much much more by women. I am almost afraid to face this, try to accept it, because I am terrified it might result in a necessary unavoidable breakup, while I don't want it, I'm projecting myself with my partner and I would like this to go further.

Anyone faced that too? Anyone would have any advice?
    Thanks

2. biguy94

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think what you have to do here is really sit down with yourself and think long and hard about what you want in the long run. Do you feel that should you stay with your male partner you will be able to fight these feelings (since you say you're scared of a potential breakup with him) or would it torment you even more knowing your staying with him to protect both of your feelings whilst also longing for a full blown relationship with a woman?

Without knowing if your male partner is also bisexual or gay it's hard to say how to handle things best. Did you get into a relationship with this man with his knowledge of your bisexual nature beforehand and that you also have an interest in women? I ask this because (from myself as another bisexual male) if he is also bisexual then he may have somewhat of an understanding should you try and explain your feelings on a deeper context, however if he is gay this means he may have wished to have you as a longer term relationship which will always be exclusive to him and he may have expected the same in the long run (and I know this goes for all relationships regardless of orientation, but I think it could be harder for a gay man as opposed to a bisexual because they don't have interest in women romantically or sexually). Does that make any sense?

In the long run, I think your feelings will intensify the longer you hold it off and you may end up becoming so distressed with the situation you end up potentially going behind his back (which wouldn't be a nice thing to do, however that's just my opinion) so I do think if you really wish to seek a relationship or sex with a woman you should tell your partner this and that you wish to act on it. It may be hard as there is love there and it won't be easy, but I feel that telling the truth and being honest about your thoughts and possible actions always allows people to know where they stand and what to expect.

3. jerem

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Argh there cannot be an easy answer to that can it.. That makes sense and fortunately he's bisexual too. I don't feel like doing anything behind his back is a good option. OK so difficult to avoid saying the sick truth :frowning2:

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2016 at 10:43 AM ----------

Thanks for the answer!

4. biguy94

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If he is bisexual too, do you think he would be open to an open relationship of sorts? Or do you wish to exclusively be with 1 woman? If the latter, I'd explain things and tell him your true feelings and thoughts and break it off... It may be heart breaking for the both of you, be difficult in the moment and weeks/months after but if it isn't TRULY what you want for your life right now and wish to devote a future into a loving relationship with a woman, then breaking it off now will save a lot more worse pain down the line.

I hope things work out for you :slight_smile:

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this may be the heart of the issue. I don't want to try to analyze you from a distance, but it's possible that the issue here may not be missing women exactly, but feeling like the current relationship is missing something (and I don't mean a gender - something emotional, some sort of sexual satisfaction, or something along those lines). It's also very easy to romanticize something outside of a relationship from within the relationship - in other words, without the ability to explore other options, we're free to characterize them in our heads any way we like - and we often make them appealing to ourselves.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest changing the relationship in order to fix it - having a threesome, making it an open relationship when it wasn't before - because ultimately, this sort of move acknowledges that there's a problem with you two but doesn't attempt to address it with just you two. It might be time for a re-evaluation - figure out what this relationship is giving you, and what else you feel like you need in life. If you can get it with your boyfriend, then I'd encourage you to work on that. If you can't, then it might be time to move on.