1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grief

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by katecp, Nov 15, 2016.

1. katecp

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last weekend my friend's estranged dad died. We don't know how much contact they had with each other but I know that when my aunt died, even though I only saw a few times in my life it was really sad. She may be coming back this week and I don't really know how we should approach it with the holidays coming up and stuff.

2. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Approach her with care, be gentle. She may want to talk about her feelings to you, or she may not. Don't try to coax her feelings out of her: instead let her know that you're there and that you're willing to listen to her, should she want to talk. Otherwise, don't talk so much about her dad (unless she asks) as there's no need to, and don't treat her too differently. Of course, offer her your support upon meeting her, but other than that just be kind. You want her to feel as comfortable as possible, so avoid acting tense: she will be able to sense it if you are on-edge. Finally, give her space should she ask for it. For whatever reason, every now and again she will need some time to herself.