1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People with homophobic parents, how did they react to you coming out?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gelli, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Gelli

My parents are very religious and homophobic, so I don't think I'll be coming out to them anytime soon. How did your parents react? How differently do they treat you now that they know the truth?

2. warrior452

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Though I am 22 and will only be with them for another year to two, I still live with my very homophobic parents for the time being, and I have chosen not to come out either, due to the reaction. For now I have settled with coming out to a few friends.

3. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have homophobic family but I do have homophobic friends they politely said they disagreed but still wanted to be friends. Basically they don't accept me as i am but they still love me? It kind of sucks but it is what is. I would be ready with your story, biblical arguments (if they're Christian) etc. and probably wait until you put of the house. It sucks but st the same time it's freeing to finally be honest

4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Horrible...in fact I am still feeling the aftermath effects of being a part of a homophobic family to this day.

5. Guff

I recently came out to my extremely religious parents. Originally, they just told me that they loved me no matter what.

My dad has been doing his best to understand and be supporting.
    However my mother has been trying to do conversion therapy on me and has forbidden me from telling anyone I'm gay until I'm an adult. She even said once I'm an adult if I come out she wants me to delete all of my email accounts, social media and get a new phone. So that my life won't ever come in contact to hers.

Life is hard, throw being gay into the mix and it's overwhelming.. I won't lie and say it doesn't suck, but also on that same note of honesty it does get better. It goes from bad, to worse and than finally you very slowly make your way forward. But it's an extremely tough journey and you shouldn't start it until you're positive you're ready. I personally don't think you are quite yet given you say you're "90% lesbian". Either you're a lesbian or you're bi. I'm not trying to stick a label onto you, but it's hard to come out. And I think your still questioning your sexuality. My only real advice is to first find out your sexual orientation. (which is super hard!) And than begin the coming out process.

6. Gelli

I'm sorry you have to go through all that. It's definitely not an easy journey.

I've identified as a lesbian for a long time and now I'm a bit confused. Like, for sure I'm attracted to women, I've fallen for my best friend in high school but I've drifted away from her because i was put through so much pain. The reason I'm confused is because there's this guy who likes me at my workplace, and I wasn't interested in him at first but I'm starting to think I just like the attention I get from him. I can't really picture myself with a man in the future, and I've never had any crushes on guys.. so maybe I'm just a lesbian.

7. Guff

I sometimes get "crushes" on girls who are crushing on me just because, well kinda like you said it's nice to have someone like you. LOL

But just think about that effect, having a guy like you is almost enough for you to like the guy. Imagine how amplified that feeling will be from a girl!

8. ImNotYourMom

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i never came out and i think im straight not too sure, but i wouldn't want to be any other sexuality since i feel comfortable with straight