1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling it a "relationship" etc.?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GayNarwhal, Nov 16, 2016.

1. GayNarwhal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this is really subjective and personal, but when did you talk to your current/former partner about whether you were in a "relationship" (vs going on dates) and/or start calling them your girlfriend/boyfriend/[insert your preferred term here]. Also, how did you go about it? Thanks in advance!

Back-story/reason for asking if it's of interest, I've been seeing this girl for a few weeks and, while I definitely think it's too early to call her my girlfriend or anything like that, I really like her. I can't remember ever feeling so strongly about someone I've dated so quickly (incl. people I went on to have quite long relationships with). We talk all the time and have so much in common and she's just such a genuinely good human that makes me want to be a better human but not in a weird pushy way, in a "wow, you are just so great and make me want to be a better version of myself" way. We're also taking things more slowly physically than I normally would, which has actually been kind of nice? Like last night she came over, and what was meant to be us making dinner before a thing she had on turned into 7 hours of just chatting and cuddling, but nothing overtly sexual beyond brief kissing (which had happened before in any case).

Basically, I really like her (in a way that almost scares me because I'm afraid of getting close to people, but that's a whole separate story), and I feel like I definitely would want to be in a proper relationship vs just seeing her, but don't know how long to wait to talk about that kind of thing.

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me this is something that has always been initiated by the guys that I were dating. I remember a couple of my ex boyfriends approaching me after like a month or two of dating about being exclusive. Usually the guys I've been with would do something or say something to let you know that they are more interested in you than just dating. However, now that I am writing this response...I do remember one guy whom initially it did not work out and later down the road our paths crossed again and I guess you can say that the stars were aligned for us to be together. After dating again for a couple of months ...I remember going for a midnight stroll through the park with him and I stopped him to ask him about us becoming exclusive and before I could get out my presentation...he interrupted me by saying.."Finally...I'm happy to know that we are thinking the same on this...YES!!!!!"..haha. So for me...it would be about a couple of months of spending a substantial amount of time with this person to get a feel if this person would be the right one for me. I figure by then you should have some kind of inclination that would make you know that its an appropriate time now for you to ask. With that being said..I wish you the best with whatever direction or decision you to decide upon...JS

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My girlfriend and I talked about it upfront. We were long-distance, didn't have an in-person date until six months in. Even so, we both agreed that if we were going to do this, we were going to be exclusive. Neither of us is really into dating around so it worked out well for us.