1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apparently my mom is in denial

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nero360, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Nero360

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ever since I came out to my mom as bi i've moved to being either gay or pan. But the thing is, i think she's still in denial. She's always talking about how i would be a good father, cracking jokes about girls she catches me looking at and overall just makes the topic of relationships boy and girl. But she has never asked about my sexuality or anything realated boys since i came out to her. Which leads me to believe she's in denial. For all i know she probably thinks its just a phase.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She probably is in denial. It can be a very difficult thing for parents to accept their child's non-cis or non-straight sexual orientation, and as anyone processes the loss of the straight identity, there are stages (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance) that they go through. Sometimes these take hours... sometimes months or longer.

So the best you can do for now is just recognize where she is. Remember that it likely took you a while to accept this in yourself, to come out to yourself, and then to come out to her... so she needs time also. It sucks that you have to put up with this and patiently wait for her to come around... but the truth is, she eventually will.

3. Nero360

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Havent been active here for a long time but reading on this, its crazy that my mom doesnt even remember me coming out to her. Or even me telling her i was bi smh. -_- so i guess me my counselor and 2 friends are the only ones who know....