1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a support system

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lesbifit, Nov 19, 2016.

1. lesbifit

My girlfriend and I got engaged recently, and we have set our wedding date for November 2018. Ever since we announced our engagement, the relationship with my parents, particularly my mom, has started going downhill. I'm seriously considering taking applications for new parents. I am happy to be getting married, but I also need a support system. I just can't imagine walking down the aisle by myself, and I can't imagine not having an enthusiastic family there to celebrate with me. I feel incredibly sad and I don't know how to build a support system without literally going into the street and asking random people if they will adopt me as their gay child. I've noticed that I isolate myself more and more from my family and avoid holidays. It is just too depressing and energy draining to be around people (and an environment) that aren't supportive.