1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do my parents know?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Lifeguard1, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Lifeguard1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    During supper, my mother was joking and she said: when you will bring your first boyfriend... or girlfriend, bla bla bla... By the way are you lesbian?

I just replied: what's the matter?! and then I changed subject without really answering the question.

Next time my mom brings the subject (because she surely will), what can I reply? I even don't really know if I'm a lesbian because it may only be a fantasy. I guess I'll only know when I'll be in a real relationship.

I've never been in a relationship, only had crushes on boys and girls. I've never told anyone about my girls crushes.

Did my mom talk about my sexual orientation because she assumes that I'm a lesbian since I don't have a boyfriend yet? I know, it's only her that knows the answer but were you parents suspicious about your sexual orientation even if you don't look like the "gay" stereotype?

2. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She's giving the signal loud and clear that she's OK with it. Not just "will you have a boy/girlfriend?" but "when will you bring him/her over?" That's pretty welcoming.

But... she is also showing that she's a bit clumsy, because you don't back somebody into a corner with a direct question like By the way are you lesbian?

Why would she be both welcoming and clumsy? Because she doesn't know what you think and doesn't want to hurt your feelings.

Next time she asks, say what you just said above: "I don't really know. I'm waiting to have some relationships."

3. CharacterStudy

Ah, I think she's very sweetly trying to let you know that whatever happens it's okay. Where I live at the moment the kids (even 5 yr olds) themselves will say 'when I have a girlfriend or a boyfriend', because most of the parents round here (mostly straight) tell their kids about gay marriage and equality and let them know it's all okay, from a very young age, so no one assumes they will automatically end up with the opposite sex.

You could tell her you're still figuring it out, then hopefully you'll have a nice supporting ear.

4. renard

renard Guest

I agree with what everyone else has said on this thread, and I'm also curious if your mom has ever talked about bisexuality, questioning, etc.?

I ask because I grew up with parents who would have been super supportive if I had come out, but my mom still doesn't think bisexuality exists, so I always knew that conversation (or any form of the "I'm still not sure" talk) would be pretty uncomfortable. Though I've told her my problems with her ideas before, I'm now glad that I've waited until I've let myself experience and understand my sexuality a bit better before saying anything. So yeah, I think especially if your mom is going to interpret any form of questioning your sexuality as "she's a lesbian," you totally have the right to tell her not to make assumptions until you're comfortable talking about it. And of course, if you think she'd be open to a conversation about questioning or a more nuanced sexuality than just gay/straight, go for it if it feels like you should.