1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting LGBT people in small towns?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by reny, Nov 20, 2016.

1. reny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Out lgbt people are rare in small towns, so how do you find them?
    Yes, I realize how stupid that sounds, but I'm sleep deprived and my brain ain't working.
    :starwars:

2. warrior452

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Working on that same problem myself right now. Just keep your ears peeled. Some of them are out but don't really talk about it, because the culture of your area isn't really conducive to being "loud and proud." Some of them are out, but just don't feel like making a big deal about it. Usually they'll drop a hint that you can then run with, and ask them at a later time...that's' how I've met several out people.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is hard. Most of the LGBT people I know I met in high school and they came out after we graduated. If there's a LGBT organization in a neighboring city (like a PFLAG meeting) that you are able to go to, that might be a place to start. Just meet lots of people and listen carefully. I generally come out by mentioning my girlfriend in casual conversation and that's it.

4. CharacterStudy

Open questions and non-gendered questions. A friend and I will go into conversations with the same people but come out with different understanding i.e.:

Tim: Sarah's still single. I asked her if she had a boyfriend at the moment.
    While I asked if she was seeing 'anyone' and got rather a different answer! Subtle cues in small towns, offices etc.