1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my best friend came out to me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by penelope, Nov 21, 2016.

1. penelope

I have been best friends with this girl for over ten years now which is like well over half of our lives. I love her very much and I know that we'll be friends forever and I honestly don't know what I'd do without her.

About two years ago I came out to her, very scared and lonely. I was a mess but she had nothing to say about it and I was so grateful for all the support and quiet understandment I received from her.

Two years, a couple of crushes and one girlfriend later she comes out to me because she saw a selfie our classmate had posted on instagram and she found her very good looking. She explained that she has felt like this for a long time, about a year and how she's afraid people are going to think differently of her just because she's not just into guys but girls as well.
    During that year I had thought about how wonderfully normal she is is about LGBT people and how well she's doing with trying to not be heteronormative and how amazing it is how open she is with her sexuality (like we've had conversations where we've had to think about our future and even way before she had actually accepted the fact that she wasn't straight herself she always said that she couldn't possibly know who she'd marry, even whether it was going to be a man or a woman).
    In those minutes I was reading her coming out message I felt so much joy because finally I had someone who understood almost completely and the best thing is that we've been friends for so long and we've grown up together and now there's this thing that only makes us closer and I adore her and I'm so proud of her.
    She's struggling with coming out to the rest of our friends and the world but I keep telling her that there's no rush. She tried to come out when we had a sleep over with our closest friends but everyone dismissed her because A) they're used to her praising men and acting really straight, especially compared to me and B) they can't take a hint to save their lives. I was so mad and frustrated but I know that she'll be able to come out eventually and that it will be absolutely fine. She also has her first real crush on a girl and she doesn't like it because she says that crushes hurt too much. (I'm actually kinda' jealous and I don't know why.)

But yeah. I just wanted to share how absolutely thrilled I am. I don't know how she likes to identify, as bi or something else and I don't know how included she wants to be in the community or how much pride she wants to spread around because I'm very open about my gayness and it's a huge part of my identity and I like to talk about it but I guess we'll both figure these things out with time. As of now I'm just so happy she's okay with who she is and is comfortable enough to share this part with me first of all people.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's really cool, penelope!:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing!:slight_smile:

3. WhiteWinter

Man, if my best friend was a lesbian, it would make things ways easier for me. Sadly, she can't stop liking boys to save her life XD