1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be safe and make friends in a rural town in queensland

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Caecilian65, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Caecilian65

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi All

Just wondering if any has had much experience in living in a rural town specifically in Queensland, Australia. I am living in one and am struggling. I'm afraid of talking to people incase my sexuality comes out and avood social gatherings. I want to talk to real people not those ln the apps but I have no idea how to do it. Some people aay to communicate suttly but I have no idea how to do that. I don't want to have a physical activity with someone but I wouldn't ming talking to someone who also understands the challenges of living in a small pitback town where everyone knows everyone. To make matters worse I grew up in a city which means I don't jave any of the skills you need to have fun around here also adds to the fact that I don't know anyone except who I supervise at work and that is a professional relationship only for obvious reasons.

Cheers
    Caecilian

2. Astrocyte

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there, I can't really help you out on any of your dilemmas but I just wanted to reach out to you and wish you all the best. I live in one of Australia's largest cities and I'm finding being gay hard enough, but I could not imagine what it might be like for you. All the best, mate. :slight_smile:

3. Caecilian65

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Astrocyte! Nice to hear from you mate. It's been a crazy life so far as have most in their own way. Nice to know there are a few others in Oz. Knew there were a few around somewhere.

Also, question for anyone in a homophobic town. How do you challenge the idea that us lgbtiq people are out to get everyone of the gender they like that moves. Also challenge the idea that you wrong to be gay bi intersex etc as there are so many straight *insert gender* that would be good for you. Why don't you just date *insert whoever*?? I would really like to try to challenge homophobia but not growing up in this town kinda makes it impossible ha!..

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2016 at 08:32 PM ----------

Ps. Apologies for all the spelling and grammar mistakes. Must have been frantic when I was writing. I clearly needed Grammarly

4. jaysean

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I live in Australia as well! But in a large city. What exactly do you mean when you say you're afraid of talking to other people in case your sexuality might come out? Are you not out and you're worried people may question? Sorry I'm just not too sure what you mean by that

5. Caecilian65

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have only come out to people 1400+kms away. I only started coming out to my family recently. I am worried that my sexuality will come out and I might be run out of town. Or can't do my job properly (hard enough as it is) as no one would want anything to do with me if they found out. So it's kinda both does that make sense? When someone asks me about a girlfriend I usually panic and lie making up another story about another "girlfriend" to keep my cover. It's a big worry that often takes over...?