1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being happy with myself not with other people

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Caecilian65, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Caecilian65

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi All,

I am struggling with the whole being on my own and enjoying my own company and talking/chatting/texting/meeting people.

To explain, I have moved about 5 times in the last year and now have moved to a small country town where I don't know anyone working on a job that the community doesn't really want/care about. I am the only person from the organisation who is here and the nearest person is 18 hours drive away. I supervise young people aged 17-24 and they are the only people I interact with on a daily basis and I can't be friends with them for obvious reasons.

So now for a while, almost ever since I came into this job I have not gone out at all socially unless forced to if a parent decides to visit once for a holiday. I have been really upset and lonely and I'm losing my appetite, dodgy sleep patterns, lack of energy and lots of paranoia always worrying and not knowing what people think. So is this all something I should be working out on my own? Ie. I should just be sitting at home reading books etc and not talking to other people just sorting issues on my own? I am really lost at the moment. I feel so guilty for talking and even writing something on here at the moment. I was focussing on my job heaps but now my job feels like it's falling apart and I don't know what to do..

Hope that all makes sense.
    Cheers
    Caecilian65

2. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't feel guilty! If I'm honest, this sounds pretty isolated, and if you really think you're falling out of it, I'd ask for help. I myself am probably not the best person to answer this, but I always find that trying to put everything in perspective helps a lot. If it won't affect anyone in 3 years, it's not worth worrying about, I find. I'd personally get a dog. Whenever you come home, you know that someone's so happy and excited that you're around, and really lightens the mood. Coming home from a hard day isn't so bad anymore.

Hope this helps! -Asking.

3. Caecilian65

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks asking! Yeah I think perspective is good. I should be talking to my budgie more so that hopefully he doesn't ignore me so much and I can train him. It is just so hard I just seem to get stuck into this world of worry, anxiety and feeling isolated and just shut off when something goes bad rather than sorting it out.. I don't understand myself sometimes

4. Astrocyte

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your job seems full-on. Deep down, are you happy with what you're doing? Do you think that perhaps you need to take some time off work to look after yourself and sort yourself out? Do you maybe even think you need a change in direction? From all the posts of yours that I've read, your situation seems to trouble you a lot and I'm not sure how much you can remedy it. I have a feeling you might need to make some big changes in order to be where you want in life.

5. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've just gone back to work after a 7-week leave of absence for depression and anxiety. This leave of absence was the best thing I've done for myself in a long time, and I'm still thinking about the long-term path to what I want.

Honestly, you don't sound very happy with much at all right now. I would take some time off if possible and consider a significant change so that you are doing something you care about and you are surrounded by a supportive network. I think you're aware of this current state of lacking, but not doing something before it really impacts you will be harmful.

Your loss of interest and disrupted sleep are possible signs of clinical depression. Don't wait very long to consider significant changes. Please post on my wall if I can offer more from my experience with my leave of absence.

*warm hugs*

Patrick
    Seattle, WA

6. Caecilian65

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone! It is really to know your not alone and what a supportive community. Even though I struggle to admit that to myself as I don't feel I'm worth it. I don't really know what is going to happen. I am speaking to a professional now which is kinda scary and embarrassing. I hope though it will help.me a bit. I am not if taking time off will be possible really.

Cheers
    Caecilian65

7. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seeing a professional is great - a sign of self care and nothing to be embarrassed about.

8. Caecilian65

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Correction: I should say "I am not sure if taking time off will be possible really". I don't get leave or anything like that in my job.

To answer Astrocyte and others: I do like my job. I love that I can work in the environment and make a difference in a small local community the plants and animals are different and cool :slight_smile:. Yet, I don't talk to anyone else and I don't go out because I'm supposed to be seen as professional and work hard. Now people are leaving again for jobs elsewhere and the funder might stop funding the program as not enough as being done. I can't go out in the field to get work done myself. That is frustrating for me as I like to be active. I don't know if that helps answer the queries at all. I am pretty lost myself sometimes.

9. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How are things going since your original post? Do you think our advice is helpful? Please let us know how you're doing.

Patrick

10. Caecilian65

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone! I still don't know sometimes. Seeing a professional though who comes to visit me has been helpful. My job has now been cancelled (not enough people to supervise - only 2 left) and I have ended up taking a job with them for another 6 months about 12 hours drive away. I tried so hard to keep this going driving around and asking everyone for more young people to work/get a study allowance working in the local area but it didnt happen. I didnt make the final decision I gueas it was company that pulled out not me. Although first I have set up a display for an endangered animal in the local library here and drive 9 hours to take the work vehicle somewhere.. I get a different work vehicle once I move which I will have to pick up from 3 hours away... this state is so big sometimes! I'm definitely keeping busy but I hope that Christmas and New Year will give me a little chance to refuel..

The professional has been great and it's really nice to have someone in person to listen to all my ramblings and things going on in and outside my head.

Hope that all makes sense.