1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my friend toying with me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nordland, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm getting a lot of mixed signals from my friend, who I should add is quite a manipulative person. So about of weeks a go we kissed for the first time, it was great and he said he enjoyed it. After this he's been a lot more interested in me and will put his arm around me. Then all of a sudden he started going on about other gay guys in our year at school and what he'd like to do with them. I have to admit that I was a little jealous, which I think he probably intended me too. I tested this by asking him if I should ask another guy out. His mood completely changed and he started giving me short monosyllabic answers to everything I said. Do you think he's toying with me and building me up then knocking me down or does he actually feel for me and I just interpreted the situation badly?

2. robclem21

The first thing you should think about is what you want out of the situation? Do you like him and want to date him? Do you care if he dates others? Once you figure out what you want it will be easier to decide what to do.

It seems like he may be into you, but is maybe trying to play games to get you more into him? You didn't share what your relationship/friendship was like prior to this so its a bit hard for us to say what's going on here. What are your normal interactions like?

3. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Beforehand we were perfectly normal friends, nothing else to it. There was little to no physical interaction and emotionally, like i said, we were just good mates.

4. robclem21

Do you want to date him?

5. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I do.

6. robclem21

Then why not just ask him out? Then you will have an answer for sure and won't really have to play the mind games. It seems like you two haven't really had much of a conversation about what the situation is, and maybe that would clarify what happened and where you both expect to go from here.

I can't say for sure whether he is into you or just saw what happened as something "fun" and "random" based on what you have said, but clearly you are comfortable around him so maybe a conversation is the next step.

#6 robclem21, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would be wary of him hurting you due to his emotional immaturity. Make sure you judge him based on his actions, not words, and be honest with him when he seems to be teasing or trying to create jealousy. If things don't work out, just consider it a learning opportunity on what you don't want. Good luck.