1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brother outed me.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nero360, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Nero360

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I left my facebook signed in and left for a quick second to check on the mail. Came back my brother puts the laptop down. Im like "what are you doing?" I go over and check. He texted one on friends [from school/B] and told him im gay. Im freaking out, crying on the ground, yelling at him, screaming why would tou do this?! He goes "its just a prank, its fine. And if its not, this is what you get for eating the last slice of pizza!" I just have a wtf/are you srs look. About 5, 10 minutes go by. Im like wtf am i doing. I should send a cover up text. And i told him "that was my stupid little brother." Also something else, I hardly know this guy we just became friends 3 weeks ago and we just added each on fb last week. We havent even sent each other a single text so, now its super akward given, the first text is "im gay". I bet he's gonna tell the whole school. I just wanna die rn. It was really hard to write this. Im breaking down right now knowing that i have to go to school tommorrow and deal with this.

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would personally send a message such as " Sorry about the last message, as you can see my little brother is very mature..." With a *rolling my eyes* emoji and leave it at that. I doubt the guy will have any reason to care or not believe you or to tell your entire school.

Try not to freak out and overthink and start plotting a revenge on your little bro :wink:

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Nero360,

Deep breaths. It's not the end of the world.

What your brother did was unconscionable, but he's a couple years younger than you, right? Does he actually KNOW that you really are gay?

Did your friend respond to your follow-up text?

4. Nero360

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No he just assume im gay and calls me it as an insult. And no response from friend. Still left on read. Im going to try to avoid him when i goto school. But i only fear that will bring his suspicions up.

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2016 at 06:25 PM ----------

Ugh im in a tight corner

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2016 at 06:25 PM ----------

I havent talked to my counselor in a while maybe she can help.

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2016 at 06:26 PM ----------

I think im over exaggerating the situation, maybe he was busy and was able to look really quick. Idk

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The key will be not to freak out. You don’t want to act in a manner that looks like you are covering anything up. You already have your real life cover story. Your brother ‘sent that message in revenge for you eating the last slice of pizza.’ Just tell your friend that “he’s an immature brat; just ignore it.”

Other than acting kind of ticked off at your ‘stupid’ little brother, you should just act normally about it. Don’t be too pissed off – i.e. show that you are pissed off at him, but after you have made your point, there’s no reason to bring the subject up again. If you draw too much attention to it or overreact, it could become obvious that you are covering up.

It definitely couldn't hurt to talk to your counselor at school, like you said.

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2016 at 09:28 PM ----------

You definitely are personally deep in this and are seeing your worst nightmare, but, remember, this will be the first your friend has heard of this. So, such a short statement like "I'm gay" coming out of the blue like that certainly is going to seem odd to him.

6. Astrocyte

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is a relatively common prank and I don't think a lot of people take it seriously. If someone is genuinely going to share their sexuality, they'd be using more words. I think you've handled the situation well - but try to avoid overthinking it because your behaviour will seem out of line.

7. robclem21

I agree with everyone else. While what your brother did was mean and unfair, it doesn't appear to have been done with too "malicious" of an intent considering he doesn't know youre gay, and he is younger than you are.

This was pretty common even among me and my friends when we were younger to do stuff like this. It will only be awkward if you make it awkward. Just tell him that you left your computer open and your brother typed it. There is no need to freak out here.

Just take a deep breathe and normalize the situation. I doubt he will spread this around.

8. Nero360

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank everyone. I eventually calmed down and decided that I should only address the topic if it comes up. Also i don't know if i should be glad or worried that he didn't come to school today. And he's one to have perfect attendance. I really hope it wasn't because of that message...

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Nero360,

I'm glad you calmed down. And that sounds like a good plan for dealing with this.:slight_smile:

I see no reason at all to think that your friend didn't come to school today because of that message.

Just be prepared, if he just thinks it was a funny joke, he may want to tell others at school about the stupid joke your brother played on you. But just play it off as a joke, showing that you are annoyed with your little brother for doing that and you should be fine. (You also probably shouldn’t ask not to say anything at school since that would just draw attention to the fact that you are sensitive about the subject and you just want to appear mad at the stupid joke, but not concerned that someone might take it as true.)

---------- Post added 30th Nov 2016 at 01:27 AM ----------

But it's probably just as likely that will agree that it was a stupid joke that your brother played and not even give it another thought.

#9 Quantumreality, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  10. Nero360

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So when i saw him thursday he said sup and we did our usually fist bump. So everything is ok! Also yesterday was my 17th birthday. Still ahving mixed feelings about turning 17.

11. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great to hear, Nero360! I'm glad it didn't turn out to be anything serious for you.

Also, a belated Happy Birthday!:slight_smile:

Why are you having mixed feelings about turning 17?