1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can I do to get involved with the LGBT+ community?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Astrocyte, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Astrocyte

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've accepted my sexuality and have come out (or will come out imminently) to the people who matter most in my life. Thankfully, all is okay in that respect. I can't say I'm a very lonely person - I have a relatively small friendship group but we're very close and I couldn't ask for better friends. However, I am struggling to extend myself and reach out to other LGBT+ people.

I'm someone who has always focused on trying to be me, rather than anyone else. In a way, I feel that's holding me back from meeting other LGBT+ people. I'm very content making friends as I go about my daily business, and I tell myself that it's more important to have good friends than make okay friends who happen to be gay. I also struggle finding the confidence to join social groups; LGBT+ support groups is an even greater struggle. I'm not into clubbing so a common suggestion is to find some LGBT+ interest group. However, then I find myself making the excuse that if I want to do interest x, why do I need to join an LGBT+ group about it? I feel one big hurdle is that in my observances I've noticed a lot of the members of these groups are really out there with their sexuality, whereas I'm not. I'm ashamed to think that this is impacting me. I'm really encouraging myself to get over that, but I'm not succeeding very well. This is despite first-hand experience learning not to judge a book by its cover: I took a subject that attracts LGBT+ students this year and I initially was intimidated or put off by some members of the crowd, but towards the end I got to know a couple of them and they were really nice people.

I joined Empty Closets as a first step in reaching out and I have to say that I feel very comfortable and welcome here. I just don't know how I can translate this into real life results. I feel as if I know exactly why I'm not doing anything, yet I'm lacking the motivation to make a change. At this point, I'm turning to the internet and looking in the wrong sorts of places to connect with people. I'm even becoming tempted to download the gay apps, despite knowing that's not really what I'm after. Do I just need to push ahead, and try to fake not being a nervous wreck, without necessarily feeling as if I'm 100% committed? I felt like this when coming out, and in all honesty, while it was really difficult in the short term, I'm so glad I did it now that I can see the long term outcomes. Alternatively, should I just stop trying to force things, and go with the flow? Maybe I'll get to a point where I will feel more motivated, even though I feel somewhat limited now. This is one of those difficult cases where I know the problem, and I know I want to address the problem, but I don't know how I can make myself actually want to perform the steps necessary in order to solve the problem. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks. :slight_smile:

2. Astrocyte

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bump... I'd really appreciate some help with this... :/

3. Linkmaste

Hi Astrocyte, welcome to EC.

I'm not the most qualified to answer but from what I'm reading it sounds like you want to get involved but have a few hesitations.

Well first thing about joining a LGBTQ same interest group is about making you feel connected in meeting people like us. As much as I want to preach that were all people and all the same, we went through a whole self discovery experience while heterosexual cisgendered folks were affirmed to knowing their 'normal'. Joining a group will provide comfort because you can openly talk about a crush you have or that celebrity you follow because they are attractive etc. It also makes you feel less alien to the world. Seeing and interacting with thsee people will make you think 'oh okay that's normal' and move on.

Note I know there's no such thing as normal but it's just a comfort. No one wants to be socially isolated so having these groups helps break that barrier down and plus you get a chance to make new friends!

So if clubs arnt your thing then do a lgbtq sport group or a gsa or a pride club at school. If youre in college that's even better as I'm sure there is a group made for lgbtq individuals.

4. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I have off from work on Monday I'm going to go to a LGBT support group my straight friend recommended. LOL it's my first attempt since high school to reach out myself. I'm not very helpful to you but wanted you to know you aren't alone.

5. Astrocyte

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks so much for the reply! :slight_smile: I'm at university and there is an LGBT+ support group available. I've just been too scared to approach it. Perhaps I should do that thing where I just pretend and fake my confidence for five minutes and go in, and if it's not working out I leave. Ultimately I think it's just a matter of finding the courage to break the ice. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Aww, thanks so much for reaching out to me! (*hug*) Please let me know how it goes, and don't hesitate to contact me to discuss how you're feeling anyway. :slight_smile:

6. Caecilian65

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Astrocyte,

I might be in a place to respond. Have you thought about joining an outdoors group that visits different places? I have found a group before that went walking/hiking. I personally am quite comfortable in the environment and used that as an excuse to go and visit different places that I wouldn't normally get to see anyway.

Mind you I have always struggled with reaching and it is always something I felt guilty of/worried about. But that might be an option. I found that the most comfortable type of group to be in (ie. an easy topic/activity that you know a bit about) makes it less stressful. I visited a music group once and I was not on their level and had a performance and was really stressed out by the whole experience. I hope that helps a bit and take care. :slight_smile:

I may need to reachout to a group/area 10 hours return drive away for the first time ever. I am still trying to work myself up to that.

7. Astrocyte

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello again. :slight_smile: I have to admit that an outdoors group would not be my cup of tea, but thanks for the suggestion! One thing I really need to work on is to stop making excuses whenever I come across an LGBT+ interest group. For example, I like playing badminton, and my city has an LGBT+ badminton group, but I keep telling myself I could just play with my friends, or that the age group might not be right. Ultimately, I need to muster the courage at least to make some enquiries or something. :S The problem is that I find the whole signing up for clubs and groups daunting in general. It would help if I had a friend who would be willing to join me for moral support, but I don't know anyone in real life who is gay (other than like a distant acquaintance). It's a bit of a vicious cycle but I basically need to channel my disconnectedness and try to use its energy to motivate me.