1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child Protective Services

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AlexGreen242, Nov 30, 2016.

1. AlexGreen242

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello! So I wanted some advice on what to do, so I currently live with my mom, my little sister, my moms fiancé and family friend who's currently homeless, we all live in a 2 bed room apartment, my little sister sleeps with my mom and her fiancé and I have the 2nd bedroom and the family friend sleeps on the couch, but ever since she's been with him I've noticed him to be a little rough on my little sister, he doesn't ever say anything to me except in a text message, I'm the 18 and a dude so maybe that's why? But anyways he is a little rough with my little sister and she has actually told her school counselor about it once and they came to investigate, and my mom said that's she found "nothing wrong" but I find that odd because my mom said the social worker wanted to talk to her fiancé and to me but that never happened. But either way, nothing came from that, and I am sick and tired of him being rough with her, she is an bad child, she throws fits and is mouthy but she's also only 8, and he doesn't need to hit her as hard as he does and grab her the way he does, and he literally gets on to her for everything weather she's doing something wrong or not, and I have brought it to my moms attention but my mom doesn't seem to care, so I am thinking about filing a report my self but I want some advice as to weather or not I should?

2. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I have a sibling I thought was in peril I would advocate for her/him as if my life depended on it.

3. Toci92

I work in a field where I have actually called CPS a time or two myself, and I have this to say: for an adult to put his or her hands on a child in anger and cause harm is abuse. In general I believe physical punishment to be abuse (however I know this is not the case for everyone) but what you have described to me sounds like an awful situation for your little sister to be in. You say your little sister is a "bad kid" but as a professional who works with children it sounds like she is acting exactly like any child who faces constant criticism and abuse would.

You are legally an adult. If your mother isn't willing to advocate for your sister, you need to. Move her into your bedroom to start. Meet with her counselor at school. Call CPS anonymously yourself if she has any lasting bruises or if you feel she is being physically hurt. It is hard and scary and a sick feeling to think you might be breaking up a family or causing trouble but your sister is very young and needs someone like you to look out for her.

In the mean time, please give your sister all the love and attention you can. Be positive with her, praise her when she does something well or when she follows directions. Make big deals out of her smallest accomplishments. She needs all the positive reinforcement she can get to make up for the negativity she is experiencing from your mother's fiancé.

4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Report it! This is abuse! Your mom is enabling this. Don't let this continue.

If anyone ever laid a hand on my sibling that person would not soon forget it.

5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this is both abuse and neglect. you should call child protective services and report, don't wait till she's hurt more than she is now. she might be acting out for other reasons than being "bad" and she might be using this as a way to "fight back", she's only 8 years old. she needs protection, if not from her mom then from you.

6. AlexGreen242

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Update: my mom and him has a huge fight about the way he treats her the other night, she's has called off the wedding and we are trying to figure out what to do next.