1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by anthonybg, Dec 7, 2016.

1. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

I really don’t know what to do. I don’t want to lose my friends just because I’m different. I don’t know how are they going to react but I’m sick and tired of pretending to be something I’m not. I wanna come out of my shell but I don’t wanna be judged but oh Lord, I know this is not possible. What should I do?

2. DJHale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, hooray! It's great that you are comfortable with who you are, and want to tell someone! :slight_smile:
    I had this exact same problem with my friends. I knew they were all accepting, but at the same time, I was still unsure.
    If you want to kind of see how they will react, test the waters by dropping some subtle hints, or asking them how they feel about the LGBT community.

If you just want to tell them outright, then do it! That's what I did. I just got so tired of hiding it, I just blurted it out. I was welcomed with support and love. Chances are, that you will too.

Above all, be proud of yourself, and don't let other people get in the way. Don't feel like you have to hide because someone might not like you. You are perfect just the way you are, and no one's negative opinion should make you feel less than perfect.

Good luck! And let me know how it goes! :slight_smile:

-DJ

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not? Maybe start with hypothetical questions to judge their support level?

4. Linkmaste

First and foremost: are you safe to come out? The last thing I would ever want for a young person like yourself is to take this great courage to do it and be in possible danger. You're seventeen so I would like to believe that you have a good group of friends that are very accepting.

Second, I can list the many reasons to come out ranging from how good it feels, to being true to yourself, to not bottling yourself up and so forth. But none of that will work unless you are ready to do so yourself.

For myself as an example, I like to use the high diving board as a metaphor. You know you should take the plunge but you keep running to the edge and back afraid of if the fall will hurt or if it will be great. You don't know. But, it's when you take that deep breath, are calmly walking up the edge and give that perfect swan dive (or canon ball who I am to judge) that you won't have any anxiety over taking that plunge. Does that make sense?

What I'm trying to say is that only you can make yourself sure of your sexual orientation and when to come out to your friends. You know these guys better than we do. Not to say there are signs to look out for maybe if your one friend says that 'gays deserve to die'-well maybe he's not the best one to come out to first.

Bringing up a conversation about LGBTQ is pretty easy to gauge where your friends are at. A perfect example is Mr. Mike Pence and his LOVELY platform of 'Conversation Therapy'. It's a impersonal topic, its hot right now, and you can even educate them a little. Win win.

Hope this helps a little. Hang in there I've been in your spot too and spoilers: it worked out for me.