1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I do anything about my barista crush?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by gunpowdereyes, Dec 11, 2016.

1. A few days a week, I'll park myself in my local coffee shop to do schoolwork for a couple hours. It's a nice environment, but that habit is also partially motivated by the presence of a certain adorable barista, who I'm about 99.999% sure is gay. While I don't like to make assumptions based on clothing choice/haircut (I've been told that I don't "come across as gay", whatever that means, so I realize that appearances can be misleading), all the signs point to it, and I just get a very strong vibe from her. I have always been able to trust my gaydar, and this seems like no exception.

I completely understand that baristas are paid to be nice to their customers. A customer treated well = a customer who will return. The math checks out. That being said, I get the impression that she's always just a biiiit nicer with me, as I never see her chatting up other customers. The evidence: she'll always make the extra effort to ask what I'm up to for the rest of the day/evening, and enquire into whatever I've been working on. Also, as much as I try not to stare at her for fear of coming across as completely terrifying, whenever I do look over, I see her looking back. She's even insisted on buying my coffee, which is probably a good sign, but (as you can probably tell) I have a tendency to over-analyze everything... so maybe she's just concerned about my caffeine intake.

I'm 22, but I feel like I'm 16 again with how flustered I get just thinking about this debilitating crush. Part of me worries that I've built her up to be so great in my head that asking her out would be a mistake, but I contemplate it so often that it would probably be remiss not to do so. So my question is: how do I approach someone who I only know in the context of their workplace? I feel I'd have no problem making a move in a different setting, but approaching her on the job feels wrong to me. I would feel bad putting her on the spot while she's at work, or really making her uncomfortable at all. Especially in front of coworkers. I really would like to make my interest known, but most of all I wish to be respectful. Do any of you kind souls have advice? Many thanks in advance!

2. FoxSong

She buys your coffee? At her place of work? Yeah, she's into you :grin:

Personally, I'd probably write my number on the bill-slip with a little note like: Listen, I think you're super cute - can i buy you dinner sometime?

At any rate, however you do it, go for it. I think it's a lot more intimidating for her as someone who works there to approach you (a customer) than the other way around.

3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She asks what you're up to for the rest of the day/evening? Yeah, she's into you.

Ask her back. And then suggest you could do something together. I suppose getting coffee, the usual convenient start, is out. You can alway say, let's just walk and talk.

Good luck. My outside perspective, and FoxSong's, says the lights are green.

4. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree with beenthrdonetht. You could just casually extend the conversation, turn it towards her, find common interests and suggest to do something together. I don't think at this point you need to give her your number and straight up ask her on a date, since there is already a friendship developing. Just take the natural course of a new friendship and suggest something, and from there you can see whether she's interested in you more than as friends. Good luck!

5. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say you have enough to go on now that telling her you think she's cool/cute/interesting and would like to take her out is completely reasonable. Give her your number so she can call you when she's off work.
    I agree that waiting for her to make the offer probably won't work. Not knowing what your response would be she may be worried about causing problems at work.
    Good luck.

6. Thanks for the responses, everyone! Based on your positivity, I now feel pretty confident that she's interested, so I think I'll go for it. Unfortunately, the timing of me working up the courage to make a move has coincided with finishing Term 1 of grad school & flying home for Christmas, but maybe that just gives me more time to figure out how I wanna follow through. Also, being home for a bit could be useful - if I don't pick up on anything between us after I've returned from break, I'll call off the whole mission and maintain my status as a loyal caffeine addict.

Happy holidays, friends! Stay wonderful.